How important are PT test scores for a military dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wodehouse

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are your pt test scores important for making rank as a military dentist? Do high scores open up any opportunities?

Members don't see this ad.

Are your pt test scores important for making rank as a military dentist? Do high scores open up any opportunities?

In the AF, high scores don't necessarily open any doors, but low scores will hurt you. A failing score can earn you a poor performance report and that is something you don't want.

It really matters more if you fail to meet the minimum PT standards for your branch of military.

At least in the Navy, it doesn't matter with maybe an exception of being attached to a Marine or Navy special ops unit. ALL military personnel are expected to meet and exceed the PT standards of their branch of service!

Members don't see this ad :)

Aside from worrying about doors being opened, you are taking an oath to be an officer in the US military. This means taking pride in oneself and being the best you can be. It is unacceptable in my opinion to see AMEDD officers let them self go as this would seldom happen on the line side of the house. The line side is nearly opposite in the number officers in rank as the line side goes to a pyramid at the top. The AMEDD side is like a curvy lady with thick legs, very small waist, and huge upper half (all the O-6's).

So step up and strive to be an officer who excels in all aspects of what an officer is suppose to be. This will open up doors for you and gain the respect of those who work with you. You will also be less intimidated when you are surrounded by folks outside the military comfort zone (the clinic).

It really matters more if you fail to meet the minimum PT standards for your branch of military.

At least in the Navy, it doesn't matter with maybe an exception of being attached to a Marine or Navy special ops unit. ALL military personnel are expected to meet and exceed the PT standards of their branch of service!

I knew Navy dentists could go greenside but I didn't know they could be attached to special operations units. Or were you speaking more generally?

I knew Navy dentists could go greenside but I didn't know they could be attached to special operations units. Or were you speaking more generally?

I was talking more generally. I used the wrong terminology. Individual units don't have them. I just don't know what to call the command where the Seals are located. I was basically stating that higher PT standards potentially could play a part at commands where special ops are located where PT standards are kept. I might be wrong, but I was just stating whereI could see higher PT standards possibly having an effect in getting locations. When I write somethign on here, usually I state things I know are factual. This is one of the very few rare instances where I am stating an opinion where I could see a potential or this playing a part in getting a billet.

I was talking more generally. I used the wrong terminology. Individual units don't have them. I just don't know what to call the command where the Seals are located. I was basically stating that higher PT standards potentially could play a part at commands where special ops are located where PT standards are kept. I might be wrong, but I was just stating whereI could see higher PT standards possibly having an effect in getting locations. When I write somethign on here, usually I state things I know are factual. This is one of the very few rare instances where I am stating an opinion where I could see a potential or this playing a part in getting a billet.

May be your opinion but it makes sense.

In the Army -

1) High PT test scores can set you apart from other dentists. If you work someplace that has 10 other new dental officers - all their skills are about the same - the guy/girl that scores well on them is definately noticed.

2) Height/Weight and PT Scores are part of your annual evaluation documentation every year. This means that promotion and specialty boards can see this information. And may use it as they consider packets.

3) High Scores in most DENTACs will earn you a 3 or 4 day weekend (typically scoring 90 pts in each event or 290 pts or above).

4) Any event that you score below 60 pts will result in a failure.
a) You will be placed in a remedial program where you may have to do mandatory workout sessions before or after work
b) You may have to go see a dietician/nutritionist
c) If you were selected for a residency or other school - you may have that cancelled if you don't quickly pass
d) You will not be promoted
e) You will retake the test frequently until you pass

5) Extremely rare (have never seen it in the Dental Corps - but possible), continued failures can cause you to be kicked out of the Army.

3) High Scores in most DENTACs will earn you a 3 or 4 day weekend (typically scoring 90 pts in each event or 290 pts or above).

i have yet to see (or hear of) a DENTAC that gives out rewards or incentives for being the hardest working, highest producing, best DENTIST in the unit.....but they all give out rewards/awards/passes for doing well on the APFT.

go figure.

as an enlisted person, when it comes to promotions, APFT score are EVERYTHING. at least in DENTAC. even the most bone-headed E-4 can make SSG in a couple years if they consistently max the APFT.

so, the only PT test that REALLY matters is the most recent on you take before a board/selection committee meets.

i have yet to see (or hear of) a DENTAC that gives out rewards or incentives for being the hardest working, highest producing, best DENTIST in the unit.....but they all give out rewards/awards/passes for doing well on the APFT.

go figure.

as an enlisted person, when it comes to promotions, APFT score are EVERYTHING. at least in DENTAC. even the most bone-headed E-4 can make SSG in a couple years if they consistently max the APFT.

so, the only PT test that REALLY matters is the most recent on you take before a board/selection committee meets.

umkcdds - it's your lucky day. Ft. Meade DENTAC and Walter Reed DENTAC both give out production awards. They set a workload/production value and if you meet it you get a 3 or 4 day pass. I have not been in those DENTACs, but have friends that are (Walter Reed did it up until a year ago - not sure if they still do). You are right though - production passes are less frequent then PT passes.

go figure.

It's definitely not everything for enlisted promotions (at least not for E-5 and E-6). Maxing the APFT will only give you 50 out of a possible 800 points.

It's definitely not everything for enlisted promotions (at least not for E-5 and E-6). Maxing the APFT will only give you 50 out of a possible 800 points.

yes, but there are a bunch of other points that are more/less highly influenced by your PT score, like the points in the awards, decorations and achievments section.

yes, but there are a bunch of other points that are more/less highly influenced by your PT score, like the points in the awards, decorations and achievments section.

Just so those not familiar with the military don't get confused...this conversation has nothing to do with being a dentist in the Army or getting promoted as a dentist.