How important is Goljan audio during MS2 year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KLycos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that goljan audio is starting to lose relevance. Is this true for 2013?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently using pathoma, but I just want to make sure that I'm not going to be missing anything or if I should also supplement with the audio.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pathoma is better than Golijan, but they both have their uses and you should ideally go through both. They're both path resources, and really you can never have too much path - that's most of step 1.

I'm just starting second year, and the way I look at it is this: Pathoma is for serious studying, and listening to Goljan is for when you're working out or going for a long drive or something.

I think the utility of goljan is often understated. He's entertaining, reenforces material, makes connections between different topics, and goes through important path. What's not to like?

I didn't do pathoma or Goljan audio at all, and I did well second year and on step 1. Find what works for you and go with it. Don't feel like you need to use any resource just because they are recommended.

I liked goljian more than pathoma, especially for listening. Pathoma listening is a waste of time, everything he says is written.

I liked goljian more than pathoma, especially for listening. Pathoma listening is a waste of time, everything he says is written.

Goljan transcripts exist. You can read those if you truly believe that you don't gain anything from listening to something over reading something.

Sure most of the stuff is written in the book, but his explanations are what make it worth it IMO.

Goljan transcripts exist. You can read those if you truly believe that you don't gain anything from listening to something over reading something.

I think you misread his post... He says he liked goljan audio

made it through about 3 goljan lectures at 2.5x and that was all i could do. just didn't learn efficiently with audio lectures. When I study I force words/concepts in to my brain as quickly as possible to get if over with (because I hated studying) and for me the best way to do that was questions and review books.

went through Uworld 3x, first aid 3x, and regular goljan twice along with micro/pharm flash cards. good enough for >95%-tile step 1.

i think the utility of goljan is often understated. He's entertaining, reenforces material, makes connections between different topics, and goes through important path. What's not to like?

+1

I think you misread his post... He says he liked goljan audio

My interpretation of his quote was: Goljan is better than Pathoma for listening because all Sattar says in his videos is written in the book. The inference: Listening to anything is a waste of time when you can get all the material by reading through the book.

My response was: You can also get all of Goljan's material by reading the transcript.

What I was trying to imply is the value of the audio of Goljan vs Pathoma should be not be assessed by whether the material is available in printed form, because absorbing material through multiple modalities has value (ever heard of auditory and visual learning styles?).

Why doesn't anyone listen to Pathoma while jogging but everyone listens to Goljan while jogging?

You can argue that Pathoma has video slides whereas Goljan is just audio. But it doesn't make any sense to me because Goljan should really be video as well (because of all the pathology slides he refers to); it's just that the audio is a bootleg recording of his in-person step 1 review course. So Goljan has a ceiling to its usefulness because it's missing visuals.

I recently found out about Goljan path slides. So there are visual aids for Goljan, you just have to find them separately from the audio.

I don't listen to goljan until after I've watched all the corresponding pathoma videos. What I've found so far is that:
1) goljan covers almost everything in pathoma and then some
2) looking at the goljan slides isn't that important because he doesn't focus on them excessively
3) the slides goljan references are usually "classical" path images and by the time I listen to his audio, I have seen similar pictures multiple times

I listen to Goljan when I go to sleep. He tells me bedtime stories about macrophages. gobble gobble gobble.

You'd be amazed how much of this pathology stuff is mainly physiology stuff.

It's a tradition. Did I get more than one question right specifically because of him, after all 5000 practice q's? Probably not. Probably it was one. Still, worth it. He's classic.

My interpretation of his quote was: Goljan is better than Pathoma for listening because all Sattar says in his videos is written in the book. The inference: Listening to anything is a waste of time when you can get all the material by reading through the book.

My response was: You can also get all of Goljan's material by reading the transcript.

What I was trying to imply is the value of the audio of Goljan vs Pathoma should be not be assessed by whether the material is available in printed form, because absorbing material through multiple modalities has value (ever heard of auditory and visual learning styles?).

Why doesn't anyone listen to Pathoma while jogging but everyone listens to Goljan while jogging?

You can argue that Pathoma has video slides whereas Goljan is just audio. But it doesn't make any sense to me because Goljan should really be video as well (because of all the pathology slides he refers to); it's just that the audio is a bootleg recording of his in-person step 1 review course. So Goljan has a ceiling to its usefulness because it's missing visuals.
Have you listened to Goljian? He organizes the info brilliantly, he draws connections between seemingly unrelated topics, he makes jokes which keep you interested, etc. These are things that cannot be written into text. Sattar just basically reads his slides. If you're writing down a ton of ****, you're doing it wrong. I dont see the utility of sattar that your classes won't do just as well. I used both goljian and pathoma btw.

Have you listened to Goljian? He organizes the info brilliantly, he draws connections between seemingly unrelated topics, he makes jokes which keep you interested, etc. These are things that cannot be written into text. Sattar just basically reads his slides. If you're writing down a ton of ****, you're doing it wrong. I dont see the utility of sattar that your classes won't do just as well. I used both goljian and pathoma btw.

Do you mean his seemingly endless tangents?

Do you mean his seemingly endless tangents?

haha. Last night I started from where I thought I left off and he starts in with his tissue paper vs kleenex story and I'm like "oh no...no no...we are not listening to him go off about how men use toilet paper and women use kleenex again".

Sometimes he's an overly self-congratulating putz - but the man can teach.