How important is research experience when applying to anesthesiology residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mke520

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a MS2 interested in pursuing anesthesia and just wanting to know how important having research experience is to residency programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't hurt but not required by any means. Especially if you're in a US M.D. Program.

You'd get a lot more bang for your buck shadowing and rotating with anesthesiologists and getting stellar LORs

I appreciate the response and makes me feel better cause I'm not all that interested in research, but what about the more competitive programs? Do they look for research or not so much?

Members don't see this ad :)
Really depends on the program. You should be able to tell which programs are research heavy from their website - might be a plus if you're looking to match with one of them. But the majority of anesthesia residents have no desire to get involved with research and never did much in the way of research as pre-med / med student. And they all matched.

Research just helps to prove interest in the field and would support your claims about why you want to train at some research powerhouse and have an academic career. I've seen people interview for faculty jobs claiming to want to go into a research track with 20+% protected time with little to no research background. They would never get promoted and get the boot. Not surprisingly they didn't get an offer.

i'm not very interested in research but more about a solid education and lots of clinical experience...any recommendations for programs in the south or midwest that has very reputable programs?

Ultimately, the only person who can really answer this question is the PD at the program where you'd like to match. That said, the majority of applicants, even to the "top" programs will not have had significant research experience. It is one of a long list of attributes PDs seek, and whether or not this will be an important attribute for you will depend on which other qualifications you have. Middling Step I and no AOA, and a publication in a relevant journal may boost your chances.

It's clear that research is not required to match into even a top anesthesia program, like it is for some other specialties. So if you are genuinely interested in a topic and want to investigate it, by all means find a mentor and do a project. Otherwise your time is better spent studying for your boards or working out.

Work out instead of doing research = :thumbup:

Appreciate the responses, I clearly have no true desire to get involved with research on top of an already very busy schedule, but would if it was highly recommended...stress level is reduced

I was told by a couple residents that once you're able to get an interview with a program then the biggest selection factor after that is whether or not they think you're a good fit for the program, personality wise, as well as being able to get along with the residents, and being someone they'd like to work with...just wondering if that's how most ppl felt about the selection process???

Work out instead of doing research = :thumbup:

Appreciate the responses, I clearly have no true desire to get involved with research on top of an already very busy schedule, but would if it was highly recommended...stress level is reduced

I was told by a couple residents that once you're able to get an interview with a program then the biggest selection factor after that is whether or not they think you're a good fit for the program, personality wise, as well as being able to get along with the residents, and being someone they'd like to work with...just wondering if that's how most ppl felt about the selection process???

Nimbus said it best above.

You shouldn't feel like you need to do research. I'd rather have some do research that they wanted to do and be passionate about then someone that was "just checking boxes." I did bench work in the past and it's pretty difficult to do it during residency, if not impossible. I'd like to pick it up again after residency, but with that said. I really don't think its necessary in our field, unless you have genuine interest. It's pretty obvious when talking to applicants whose done research that were generally interested versus "put it on my CV."

Research pubs on your CV can help you but are not needed. If you are an MS2 trying to strengthen your application, there is more bang for your buck if you spend the time you would have spent on research, and apply it to reading, studying, and preparing for your step scores and dedicating your time to working your butt off during your third year clerkships so that you get good evaluations and high shelf exam scores (and excellent clerkship final grades). If the opportunity falls in your lap to write up a case report or present a medically challenging case at the ASA or other meeting, certainly jump on that, but doing a huge and time consuming research project that takes away study time can be detrimental. Also recall that it can take years to do research and the likelihood of getting a project completed, presented at meetings, and published by the time you need it "on your CV" is low.
In summary, a candidate with a step score of >250 and no research will likely get far more invites than the same candidate who has a 220 step score and a research publication. Obviously, if you can accomplish both, you will be in the rare situation where you will likely be invited to interview at >90% of programs you apply to.
Very few things have the ability to increase your number of invites like a high USMLE score and very few things can lower the number of invites you get like a dismal step score. I believe that too much emphasis is placed on the exam, but it is what it is and with the increasing uselessness of the dean's letter, the lack of class rank at more and more schools, and the uselessness of most letters of rec, it has become one of the only ways to screen potential applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
I really appreciate the comments...I asked the question because I do have a couple research opportunities (one bench and one clinical research) that are very legit research opportunities but would be both very time consuming and didn't want to commit to a research project if (1) it would take up too much time and (2) is not completely necessary to do and my time would be better off focusing on step 1/2 and 3rd year grades

I am published as editor-in-chief for a physiology shelf review book as well as went on a medical mission trip to the Amazon and did other "little things" that are a bit unique that may stand out some but I just have no research experience and wanted to make sure that it wouldn't hurt me when it came time to applying to the more competitive anesthesia residency programs (assuming I did well enough on step 1 to be competitive for an interview at the more competitive programs)