how important is research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

custudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first-year sophomore (I finished a year in HS and am on course for a 3-year graduation) and plan on applying next year, and I was just wondering how important it is to have research experience?

I have a lot of volunteer experience, some shadowing and clinical, and I plan on getting a lot more.

I currently volunteer at a sports medicine clinic (which provides constant patient contact) and at the university hospital, and I am involved in AED and community service.
I have a 3.6 GPA that I am in the process of bringing up.

It seems like everyone is doing research, and I want to be able to get into med school but I am not interested in doing research at all. It seems like if I try to do some, it might affect my ability to volunteer (which I love) or my school work.
Will I be at a disadvantage if I don't do any?

Members don't see this ad.

Even if you're not interested in doing research, you should do a summer program or something. It can only help you. 70% of matriculants have done some research, and 10% have had a publication.

At a 3.6 GPA I recommend you stay in for an extra year to raise that undergrad GPA.

Thanks for your help

Because it is my first year, my GPA is based on one semester only, and I have all A's now. If i keep that up I should be able to have a 3.8 by the time I apply, hopefully a bit higher.

I might try to do some research this summer then. Does it seem like I am doing research just for the sake of putting it on my application (even though I am) if I only do it for a semester? Should I try to do it for longer?

Members don't see this ad :)
The answer is of course more is better. However, manage your time wisely. You also need nonmedical/medical volunteering (which you already have), clinical experience, leadership/teaching, and shadowing.

I agree with trying research for a summer program to start. Adcomms will like the fact that you at least tried it. If you like it, you could arrange for a longer experience during the school year.

If you have a GPA of 3.8 by the time you submit, that would be great. Your BCPM GPA needs to bbe high too.

The benefit of graduating in three years is that you save a lot of money. The negative is that you are competing for spots in med school with applicants having an extra year to beef up their experiences. You will not be excused having the typical activities because you are a year younger, so consider applying at the time you will graduate in 2012 rather than in June 2011 and plan on a gap year to work, travel, do more research, etc.

Besides the clinical volunteering, shadowing, and nonmedical community service, and possibly research, don't forget a leadership experience and some teaching/tutoring/mentoring if possible. Sports and Hobbies are other areas to list on the application.

Try it.

Its important, and critical at certain schools, but if you dont like it, do something else that is equally valuable with your time!

Besides the clinical volunteering, shadowing, and nonmedical community service, and possibly research, don't forget a leadership experience and some teaching/tutoring/mentoring if possible. Sports and Hobbies are other areas to list on the application.

So is mentoring not considered a leadership experience? Like if you are a mentor to a first year student for a long term period (like a year). I've heard it referred to as leadership but you grouped it in with teaching...

OP: I'd highly recommend getting involved in research, even if you're not crazy about it. The fact of the matter is that the average matriculant is around 23/24, and is going to have way better EC's than you unless you start getting super busy. As someone who wants to apply during their 3rd year, I can tell you that its hard enough to compete with all the people taking extra time before applying... can't imagine applying only after 2 years.

So is mentoring not considered a leadership experience? Like if you are a mentor to a first year student for a long term period (like a year). I've heard it referred to as leadership but you grouped it in with teaching...
I'm sure one could make a case for mentoring being leadership, and you'd have to be convincing in your narrative description, but yeah, I have seen it most commonly grouped with teaching/tutoring. Perhaps it depends on whether it is an active or passive activity.