How important is research for Anesthesiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mytoechondria

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the Anesthesia forum as well but I figured it'd get a wider audience if I posted it here too.

So I'm almost done with my first year of medical school and I'm starting to think about specialties I'm interested in. Anesthesiology is kind of at the top of that list right now but I'm a bit worried because I don't have any research at all right now, not even from undergrad. A lot of my classmates have publications, have done research before, are doing research now, or already have things lined up for summer...and it's really starting to make me worry because I feel like I'm so far behind everyone.

Basically, as the title states, how important is research for Anesthesiology? As in, how much research or what kind of quality of research should I have if I want to match to at least a "mid-tier" level residency in or near a decently nice city? Matching at top residencies isn't really a priority of mine and I don't think I would enjoy doing research anyway so I'm kind of already giving up on "top" residencies. Am I doing myself a huge disservice by not really doing research? Is getting involved in 2-3 projects over the course of my time in med school enough?

Sorry for all the questions..any advice at all would help though. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I posted this in the Anesthesia forum as well but I figured it'd get a wider audience if I posted it here too.

So I'm almost done with my first year of medical school and I'm starting to think about specialties I'm interested in. Anesthesiology is kind of at the top of that list right now but I'm a bit worried because I don't have any research at all right now, not even from undergrad. A lot of my classmates have publications, have done research before, are doing research now, or already have things lined up for summer...and it's really starting to make me worry because I feel like I'm so far behind everyone.

Basically, as the title states, how important is research for Anesthesiology? As in, how much research or what kind of quality of research should I have if I want to match to at least a "mid-tier" level residency in or near a decently nice city? Matching at top residencies isn't really a priority of mine and I don't think I would enjoy doing research anyway so I'm kind of already giving up on "top" residencies. Am I doing myself a huge disservice by not really doing research? Is getting involved in 2-3 projects over the course of my time in med school enough?

Sorry for all the questions..any advice at all would help though. Thanks

The link below may give you some insight:

Click on the Anesthesiology link and go to the Applicant Data Tab. Anesthesiology is getting more competitive. The DO match took another hit this year. I think their match rate might be below 80% this year for anesthesiology. I think the MD match rate is around 90% still. We will have to wait for charting to come out this summer to know for sure.

Reactions: 1 users
The link below may give you some insight:

Click on the Anesthesiology link and go to the Applicant Data Tab. Anesthesiology is getting more competitive. The DO match took another hit this year. I think their match rate might be below 80% this year for anesthesiology. I think the MD match rate is around 90% still. We will have to wait for charting to come out this summer to know for sure.

Thank you! I did hear it was getting more competitive, which is the main reason I made this thread, but I also just posted this questio in the anesthesiology subforum and multiple people said research isn't needed, even for top programs. Super surprised to hear that but if that's the case then I'm pretty happy to hear that.

Thank you! I did hear it was getting more competitive, which is the main reason I made this thread, but I also just posted this questio in the anesthesiology subforum and multiple people said research isn't needed, even for top programs. Super surprised to hear that but if that's the case then I'm pretty happy to hear that.
One of the reasons I hear anesthesia calling my name ;)

• Haha