How important is Spanish proficiency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefuldentist123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've talked to a few dental students who say they wish they refreshed their Spanish speaking skills before dental school. I'm curious to know how many you feel like being able to speak Spanish is extremely useful in dental school when treating patients in clinic. I'm deciding whether I should try to freshen up my Spanish-speaking skills now in order to better serve Spanish-speaking patients while in dental school. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on where your school is located and if it has a significant Spanish-speaking population. In New York or California or Texas? Probably pretty helpful. In Connecticut or Colorado? Not so much.

Reactions: 1 users
I think its super useful. Having to call a translating service before you communicate with your patients can take a lot of time. Plus attempting to communicate with your patients in Spanish automatically earns more trust in my experience. A lot of them are happy they have a provider who can understand and speak with them in a language they're more comfortable with.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on where your school is located and if it has a significant Spanish-speaking population. In New York or California or Texas? Probably pretty helpful. In Connecticut or Colorado? Not so much.
Actually, in Colorado it would have helped a ton. There are lots of Spanish speaking patient and Aurora has a pretty decent Spanish speaking population. Spanish helps no matter where you are.

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting. I'd just hire RDA/RDH with Spanish proficiency to help translate for me.

Or Google Translate

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for the advice! I think its best I brush up on my Spanish skills.