How is aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase formed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DendWrite

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So you have to have an aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase to attach an amino acid to its appropriate tRNA molecule in order to attach the next amino acid onto the growing polypeptide chain that's being synthesized at the ribosome.

My question is: when a cell first divides, how can it make these tRNA synthetase enzymes if the tRNA synthetase enzymes are required to synthesize proteins (and thus, presumably, they are required to synthesize themselves -- which seems like a problem).

Members don't see this ad.

it's not like all the enzymes and tRNA from the cell before division suddenly go *poof.* tRNA is extremely abundant in the cell.

edit: this is an mcat topic?

Last edited:
it's not like all the enzymes and tRNA from the cell before division suddenly go *poof.* tRNA is extremely abundant in the cell.

edit: this is an mcat topic?

I remembering reading it in TPR book, its more than likely passage material that they wanted you to get use to reading.

All cells arise from previously existing cells, hence a tenant of the cell theory...

Plus most active cells have abundant tRNA supply and thus a plentyful enzyme supply.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you have to have an aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase to attach an amino acid to its appropriate tRNA molecule in order to attach the next amino acid onto the growing polypeptide chain that's being synthesized at the ribosome.

My question is: when a cell first divides, how can it make these tRNA synthetase enzymes if the tRNA synthetase enzymes are required to synthesize proteins (and thus, presumably, they are required to synthesize themselves -- which seems like a problem).

Cells use the existing tRNA synthase enzymes to create more. Before the cell divides, it creates all the necessary enzymes from its previous enzymes for the new daughter cells.

What about the very first cell though? There are a lot of hypotheses but no one is certain. And it's not important for the MCAT.

Fair enough. I guess I was just curious how the cell "made sure" that the daughter cells got all 20 of the tRNA synthetases, but I guess I should wait until I finish cell bio before asking that. And I apologize for the somewhat off-topic question (and, in hindsight, really stupid question). Thanks.

Fair enough. I guess I was just curious how the cell "made sure" that the daughter cells got all 20 of the tRNA synthetases, but I guess I should wait until I finish cell bio before asking that. And I apologize for the somewhat off-topic question (and, in hindsight, really stupid question). Thanks.

how do cells get mitochondria or anything?

Mama holds the key.