How Is Everyone Handling Multiple Acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Woodstock

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those lucky enough to get multiple acceptances (congrats!) how are you handling them? Are you holding multiple spot til you figure out which school you want to go to? Do you write a letter/call etc to withdraw from a school? Also, is it ok to hold multiple acceptances (for any school) until may 15th? Is that the AMCAS rule that ALL schools have to abide by?

Members don't see this ad.

Please withdraw as soon as you make up your mind. Some of us our still anxiously waiting. Congrats all the same. :)

acceptance? what is this word you speak of

Members don't see this ad :)
Just hold one at a time. As you get another acceptance, choose between the two: reject one and keep one.

Woodstock said:
For those lucky enough to get multiple acceptances (congrats!) how are you handling them? Are you holding multiple spot til you figure out which school you want to go to? Do you write a letter/call etc to withdraw from a school? Also, is it ok to hold multiple acceptances (for any school) until may 15th? Is that the AMCAS rule that ALL schools have to abide by?

Yes, you may hold multiple acceptances until the 15th of May. However, if you are sure that you won't be attending a particular school, be nice and relinquish your spot.

I recommend a formal letter withdrawing. Some people e-mail. However, I think most schools require (as they should) it in writing.

Don't let people talk you into withdrawing before you are ready. There are many valid reasons to hold on to multiple acceptances: some people wait until they see financial aid packages, second look days, time to investigate the area and programs a little more, or you just aren't sure yet which school you like better.

Congrats and good luck.

Thanks for the responses. I promise I wouldn't hold onto more than one acceptance any longer than I had to. I'm just new to this and wasn't sure what the rules were, etc. I have heard varying things, but thought the overarching rule was that you could hold acceptances to as many schools as you'd like (until may 15th (this applies to all schools) and if you want to withdraw you should write a letter. Is this all true in theory? I just don't want to commit to a school thinking that I'm just holding a spot there when I'm really telling the school that I'll definitely go there.

Woodstock said:
Thanks for the responses. I promise I wouldn't hold onto more than one acceptance any longer than I had to. I'm just new to this and wasn't sure what the rules were, etc. I have heard varying things, but thought the overarching rule was that you could hold acceptances to as many schools as you'd like (until may 15th (this applies to all schools) and if you want to withdraw you should write a letter. Is this all true in theory? I just don't want to commit to a school thinking that I'm just holding a spot there when I'm really telling the school that I'll definitely go there.
Yes, this is the case. If you think there's ANY reason you might go to a school, whether it be for financial or personal reasons, accept the offer; no school is binding until May 15. If you know for sure you won't go to a school under any circumstances, then withdraw. You want to be kind to your fellow applicants and the schools who've accepted you, but it's best to keep all your options open (again, as long as there's a chance you might go to the school).

I have multiple acceptances, and here's what I'm doing - I will hold on to all of them until probably Feb/March, then start withdrawing. For those concerned it will affect those on waitlists, realize that all med schools give out close to twice as many acceptances as spots they have - they have very good statistics on what their turnover rates are. It's not the case that if they have 150 spots, they only send out 150 acceptances and wait for people to decline until they offer more. So for those of you on waitlists - don't lost hope - all bets are off after May 15th. BTW - does anybody know the procedure for what happens if you're accepted somewhere, and waitlisted at a preferred school, and the preferred school give you an acceptance post May 15th? I know you can still take it, but is there some AAMC recommended protocol for that?

thinknofu3 said:
I have multiple acceptances, and here's what I'm doing - I will hold on to all of them until probably Feb/March, then start withdrawing. For those concerned it will affect those on waitlists, realize that all med schools give out close to twice as many acceptances as spots they have - they have very good statistics on what their turnover rates are. It's not the case that if they have 150 spots, they only send out 150 acceptances and wait for people to decline until they offer more. So for those of you on waitlists - don't lost hope - all bets are off after May 15th. BTW - does anybody know the procedure for what happens if you're accepted somewhere, and waitlisted at a preferred school, and the preferred school give you an acceptance post May 15th? I know you can still take it, but is there some AAMC recommended protocol for that?

You lose your deposit if it's after May 15, but yes, you can chose a school you are waitlisted on after May 15. I think you have 2 weeks to let the other school(s) know your decision.

If you do not see yourself realistically going there...then...

Drop Drop Drop it like its hot

Don't waste you time tryin' to sue S Dot

Sorry I couldn't help myself, I love that remix.