How is everyone preparing for the SVI? (standardized video interview)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarsuc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2 weeks left. Having a bad feeling about this.

Members don't see this ad.

It’s not that bad. It’s lots of describe a time when you had an ethical dilemma of some kind. I put no effort into it and made an average score. PD’s repeatedly said during the season that they don’t know what to do with it so don’t worry about it. They were only concerned with the outliers to even watch the video. Mainly to see the difference between a 5 or a 25.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I read through the AAMC guide to the SVI and read the sample questions then did a practice SVI took a 30 minutes break and did the real thing. It wasn’t bad at all. Per the AAMC survey 1-2 hours of prep will net you a similar score as if you did 10 hours of prep.

I did the 12 hour Kaplan prep course. Only $1500, steal of a deal.

Reactions: 11 users
I read through the AAMC guide to the SVI and read the sample questions then did a practice SVI took a 30 minutes break and did the real thing. It wasn’t bad at all. Per the AAMC survey 1-2 hours of prep will net you a similar score as if you did 10 hours of prep.

Did you do it this year? Was there an option to take extensive breaks in between questions?

Did you do it this year? Was there an option to take extensive breaks in between questions?

I just did it on Saturday actually haha. There is no time limit on breaks between questions. Once you click next question though it starts your timer.

This SVI thing is one of the misinformed pieces of nonsense I've ever heard of.

On behalf of rational attendings everywhere, I'm sorry that you guys are subject to this racket.

Reactions: 4 users

Honestly, I did it last year on the fly. I sat down the night before my first audition when it was 100 degrees and the A/C in our AirBNB was out. I was sweating profusely and stumbled through the questions; scored a 20. Had classmates that have superb interpersonal communication skills score lower and higher than me. Seems like a crapshoot overall. The questions weren't difficult, just do your best and move on.

Reactions: 1 users
What's everyone's set up for doing the SVI? Laptop's built in webcam, laptop with external webcam, smartphone's front facing camera or a much more professional set up arranged by your medschool?

What's everyone's set up for doing the SVI? Laptop's built in webcam, laptop with external webcam, smartphone's front facing camera or a much more professional set up arranged by your medschool?

You’re really overthinking this. I used my laptop and was sitting in my home office. I had a nice shirt on and a little makeup just so I didn’t look like a total slob. I’m not even sure I had my hair down. I know people did it last year in their PJ’s.

Nobody knows what to do with the SVI. Only if you score at either end of the bell curve will they even look at it. If they do, it’s out of morbid curiosity as to why your score was high/low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Think I'm trying the minimalist approach this year, since I only got an 11. To quote Rusty from "Ocean's Eleven": "Don't use seven words when four will do"

Every time I read about this I literally want to beat the **** out of whatever asshat came up with this to make money. What a joke and a disgrace to medicine.

Reactions: 4 users
Wound up just doing a couple of the practice questions. It seemed to make more sense this year. Just took it, hope I can beat my 11 from last year!

From what I heard from EM staff it seems to still be in the pilot phase