How is medical school like? I'm interested, not sure due to past circumstances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnnyRingo2

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN community,

I'm a Physics major who will be approaching my senior year. I have a 3.89 GPA, and if I keep it up this semester, I think I can bring 3.90. Although I absolutely love my field, ever since sophomore year, I've had friends, professors, coworkers at the local community college that I tutor mathematics at, and even students at the community college recommend I look into medicine because of my personality.

I'm an extremely extroverted person. I'm extremely social, I'm jump, cheery, I like pulling pranks, telling jokes. I give off a cheesy vibe, and I mess around a lot. People think I'm a clown, but a lot of my students say they connect with this personality a lot and that I've also worked magic with their frustrations in classes like Calculus, Statistics, etc. I've been told that I'm a seven year old in a grown man's body. They also sense my natural passion for science. Sometimes I get really loud and excited when I teach and my boss sometimes has to jokingly leave her office to tell me to tone it down just a little, and the whole room sort of laughs. That's a common occurrence. I've gotten a lot of B's in English and Literature because I'm dyslexic, but I've pulled A's in classes like Thermodynamics, Differential Equations, Organic Chemistry I and II, Physical Chemistry, and Circuit Analysis.

Out of multiple recommendations, I took a Biology I and II class for science majors over the summer of my sophomore year. I took the MCAT and scored a 36 total on it.

My only problem is my background. I was raised by a single mother who worked 2 jobs and passed away from alcoholism when I was 14. I never really had a male figure in my life, and I didn't get to have too much fun growing up really until I got into college. I'm not religious and I believe this life is all that we have to enjoy it, and I'm not sure about how rigorous the medical school commitment is. I've heard it requires a lot of investment in time. I really want to enjoy my life while I can. I don't study much, and I rely a lot on my good memory and the fact that I can usually derive or formulate what I want from basic axioms, logic, or limited information. I skip class a lot and clown off, but my professors know I'm good hearted and I do exceptionally well. I'll be more serious in medical school if I get in, though.

Do medical school students get the chance to go out at night every once in a while, or date, have a romance life or hang out with friends, etc.?

I've applied to Uwash, UCSF, UCSD, and UCLA because I really want to be in the west coast. If I do get in, the only specialty I want to do is pediatric oncology, because I think a childhood is sacred (especially in my circumstances), and I want to try to alleviate the tough journey a child and their family goes through when they have to deal with something like that.

If I don't get in, I want to get a PhD in Physics UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD- California schools. I want to work a while in solid state biophysics, but then I want to become a HS Math & Science teacher in a low performing neighborhood and help youth realize their dreams and escape poverty and inner city atmospheres.

Also, some random information that I'm putting on my transcript:

-Intern at FermiLab in Illinois
-Intern at CERN over the summer
-Physics Club President
-Math Club Vice President
-Volunteered at a lot of schools in crime dense neighborhoods to tutor and mentor youth
-Tutored jail inmates
-A lot of Physics research, even did some physical chemistry/materials science, and was pretty much a statistics slave for psychology/neuroscience departments.
-350 Hours of Community Service in elderly homes (woops, accidentally put 650, typo. I have documentation of this quantity since middle school)
-Studied abroad in Greece

Do I have good chances? What is your advice on the rigor in the medical school environment? Can I still find romance and enjoy life while in medical school?

EDIT: My science GPA is 3.94. my PS will be about my mother and my love of teaching, I got a small 4 year school in Illinois, I'm a white male.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a Physics major who will be approaching my senior year. I have a 3.89 GPA, and if I keep it up this semester, I think I can bring 3.90. Although I absolutely love my field, ever since sophomore year, I've had friends, professors, coworkers at the local community college that I tutor mathematics at, and even students at the community college recommend I look into medicine because of my personality.

I'm an extremely extroverted person. I'm extremely social, I'm jump, cheery, I like pulling pranks, telling jokes. I give off a cheesy vibe, and I mess around a lot. People think I'm a clown, but a lot of my students say they connect with this personality a lot and that I've also worked magic with their frustrations in classes like Calculus, Statistics, etc. I've been told that I'm a seven year old in a grown man's body. They also sense my natural passion for science. Sometimes I get really loud and excited when I teach and my boss sometimes has to jokingly leave her office to tell me to tone it down just a little, and the whole room sort of laughs. That's a common occurrence. I've gotten a lot of B's in English and Literature because I'm dyslexic, but I've pulled A's in classes like Thermodynamics, Differential Equations, Organic Chemistry I and II, Physical Chemistry, and Circuit Analysis.

Out of multiple recommendations, I took a Biology I and II class for science majors over the summer of my sophomore year. I took the MCAT and scored a 36 total on it.

My only problem is my background. I was raised by a single mother who worked 2 jobs and passed away from alcoholism when I was 14. I never really had a male figure in my life, and I didn't get to have too much fun growing up really until I got into college. I'm not religious and I believe this life is all that we have to enjoy it, and I'm not sure about how rigorous the medical school commitment is. I've heard it requires a lot of investment in time. I really want to enjoy my life while I can. I don't study much, and I rely a lot on my good memory and the fact that I can usually derive or formulate what I want from basic axioms, logic, or limited information. I skip class a lot and clown off, but my professors know I'm good hearted and I do exceptionally well. I'll be more serious in medical school if I get in, though.

Do medical school students get the chance to go out at night every once in a while, or date, have a romance life or hang out with friends, etc.?

I've applied to Uwash, UCSF, UCSD, and UCLA because I really want to be in the west coast. If I do get in, the only specialty I want to do is pediatric oncology, because I think a childhood is sacred (especially in my circumstances), and I want to try to alleviate the tough journey a child and their family goes through when they have to deal with something like that.

If I don't get in, I want to get a PhD in Physics UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD- California schools. I want to work a while in solid state biophysics, but then I want to become a HS Math & Science teacher in a low performing neighborhood and help youth realize their dreams and escape poverty and inner city atmospheres.

-Physics Club President
-Volunteered at a lot of schools in crime dense neighborhoods to tutor and mentor youth
-Tutored jail inmates
-A lot of Physics research, even did some physical chemistry/materials science, and was pretty much a statistics slave for psychology/neuroscience departments.
-350 Hours of Community Service in elderly homes (woops, accidentally put 650, typo. I have documentation of this quantity since middle school)

Do I have good chances? What is your advice on the rigor in the medical school environment? Can I still find romance and enjoy life while in medical school?

EDIT: My science GPA is 3.94. my PS will be about my mother and my love of teaching, I got a small 4 year school in Illinois, I'm a white male.

I have a 3.89 GPA, and if I keep it up this semester, I think I can bring 3.90.

I took the MCAT and scored a 36 total on it.

I was raised by a single mother who worked 2 jobs and passed away from alcoholism when I was 14. I never really had a male figure in my life

-Tutored jail inmates

Okay, assuming you aren't trolling (and plenty will call you out on that in a sec...) pretty much any med school would want to take you.

If you don't know if medicine is right for you, please shadow some physicians. See what they actually do in the course of a day. Maybe that will make up your mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not really sure what to make of most of this, but you have a great chance at medical school.

3.9/36 will get you a serious look at every school, including the top ones.

Okay, assuming you aren't trolling (and plenty will call you out on that in a sec...) pretty much any med school would want to take you.

If you don't know if medicine is right for you, please shadow some physicians. See what they actually do in the course of a day. Maybe that will make up your mind.

Could I shadow critical care pediatrics or pediatric oncology? I'm not really interested in family practice or private business. I want to help children, hence the reason why I want to become a teacher if I don't do medicine.

I was also concerned with personal life like romance and night life fun, hence my choices being in California. Will dyslexia hurt me, too?

I was also concerned with personal life like romance and night life fun, hence my choices being in California. Will dyslexia hurt me, too?

Is this real life? Troll radar is softly beeping.

:thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Join date. Post count. Weird med school requirements.

Jimmies beginning to perspire.

I swear to life I'm serious. I really like spontaneous nights out at places like drama theaters, museums, bars, etc. I want to enjoy my mid 20's. I want to get married and have kids.

Most of my classes have also been quantitative in nature, and I was wondering with this onslaugh of conceptual stuff like anatomy and physiology, will being dyslexic hamper my ability to catch up.

Could I shadow critical care pediatrics or pediatric oncology? I'm not really interested in family practice or private business. I want to help children, hence the reason why I want to become a teacher if I don't do medicine.

You have to approach the doctors yourself and see if they're willing to let you shadow them. Look around on the forums here to see what it entails, but it's mostly to see what the doctor's day is like and what patient care in that specialty really entails.

I think you're likely trolling.

But if not:
You have the academic credentials, but with zero demonstrated exposure to medicine I have trouble seeing any medical school taking you seriously as it stands now. Also, volunteering you performed in high school will not be counted.

I think you're likely trolling.

But if not:
You have the academic credentials, but with zero demonstrated exposure to medicine I have trouble seeing any medical school taking you seriously as it stands now. Also, volunteering you performed in high school will not be counted.

What's a good cumulative amount to have for college then, so I can prep up this summer and during down time? Should I volunteer at retirement homes or hospitals?

Only a sad person would waste their time to write this if it were a troll post.

Just do what you want to do.

Only Cali? How boring ;)

But seriously, you'll be fine...if you were able to kick butt on the MCAT, I'm pretty sure they won't think dyslexia will hurt your ability to comprehend.

I've applied to Uwash, UCSF, UCSD, and UCLA.

If you haven't gotten an interview yet from any of those schools you applied to, you don't have a great chance at getting in at all, probably due to your lack of clinical experience and your top heavy school list. How do you know you want to be a doctor? How do you know you can stand being around tons of sick people? Get some interaction with patients (SICK people). Retirement homes (unless you are a part of the process that assesses their conditions) and tutoring count as nonclinical volunteering, so that's a huge plus, but still cannot substitute patient contact.

Get some patient contact and shadow doctors of a variety of specialties and primary care, retake the MCAT if your MCAT score expires, and reapply.

I see a problem. You're clearly very talented, and probably would sail right through medical school. BUT, Medicine (note the capital M) is a calling, like being a priest or a policeman.

Be a doctor because YOU want to be one, not because other people say so.

If any ambivalance shows through at your interviews, you'll get rejected before you walk out the door.

Have you even done any patient volunteer contact work? How do you know you want to be around sick and injured people? Especially dying children? I worked at Sloan-Kettering, and those peds oncologists had the blackest senses of humor I've ever seen.

I think you should listen to your heart and stick with Physics.

Hello SDN community,

-Physics Club President
-Tutored jail inmates