How is not working during a gap year viewed for an older non-trad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CastleG8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I graduated in May 2015. I chose not to work, because I am single with no dependents and I am in my 30s. I left the military with a lot of money saved up and I lived off my GI bill while in undergrad. I have been volunteering for over a year and have about 150 hrs and some non-clinical volunteering. Besides that, I spent time in Tennessee canning vegetables/painting two houses/learning Spanish/camping/studying for MCAT.
I hadn't talked to my parents for nearly a decade and I recently reconnected with my mom due to my brother ending up in prison. I spent a lot of time helping her set up her retirement hobby farm. A dozen all-day road trips to West Garza Prison..
I chose not to work because I really didn't have much to learn from it and money wasn't necessary. I am an Army veteran and I spent a decade working poverty level jobs from retail, security, pizza delivery, and industrial work. I stayed at a house for free while it was on the market and I stayed at a farm house that had two extra rooms to crash in while I played on a farm and study everyday for the MCAT.
I hate making up excuses, and I don't want to apologize for not working because I couldn't have done that stuff if I was working. I am about to start working finally, but I am also preparing for an interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You're former Army, it won't be an issue.
Thanks for your perspective. This entire process has me worrying and I'm afraid of losing another year. I beat myself up over every aspect of my app.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds to me like you were being productive, just not with some official formal job. I think that's fine. Saying you helped your mom set up a farm isn't going to sound bad.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree. You don't have to be getting paid for what you're doing, as long as it's productive, which it sounds like yours was. Saying you took a year off to play video games in your basement might not go over so well, but I don't see anything wrong with spending the year like you did. Think of it like a paid sabbatical. :D

I agree with the experts above. Very sorry to hear about your brother.