How is the 21% cut for Physician Fee Schedule going to affect PT services?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lee9786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I understand PT compensation is directly affected due to decreased compensation for the CPT codes that CMS provides thus there will be a concomitant decrease in compensation for PT services which means decreased salary for Outpatient Physical Therapists. Am I correct on this?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand PT compensation is directly affected due to decreased compensation for the CPT codes that CMS provides thus there will be a concomitant decrease in compensation for PT services which means decreased salary for Outpatient Physical Therapists. Am I correct on this?

Hopefully it doesn't happen, but if it does, then yes compensation for services will be cut. One would speculate this will eventually result in other insurers following Medicare's lead, and facilities would need some way to make up for it.

One would speculate this will eventually result in other insurers following Medicare's lead, and facilities would need some way to make up for it.

That sounds scary, because I'd anticipate facilities would, as is common in some facilities, try to cut corners to save money by using aides and PTAs as much as possible while minimizing PT usage simultaneously due to the compensation difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
actually, my bf is a pt and recruiter for one of the largest PT/OT employers in the U.S. In Michigan, they are planning on laying off almost all their PTs and replacing them with PTAs. THey plan on leaving just enough PTs to meet supervision requirement. needed by the law

Watch out for scope creep!

I should add that there is a 10% expected increase in the Medicare PE payments Jan 1 so in the net loss is expected to be 11%

actually, my bf is a pt and recruiter for one of the largest PT/OT employers in the U.S. In Michigan, they are planning on laying off almost all their PTs and replacing them with PTAs.

this could get interesting....