How is the psych application cycle going for IMGs this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sideroblast

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying for psychiatry soon and hoping to match 2017. I had been lurking on the application/interview thread for the current cycle. I was just wondering those of you IMGs out there applying this year, how has it been going for you? I keep hearing it's getting harder and harder to get a residency. I know my school recommends applying to many programs and getting a high interview count, ideally in double digits. Any successes out there in getting interviews etc?

Wishing everyone the best in the application cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a US MD but I have seen many IMGs out there and I would agree that you should probably apply to double the number of programs such as myself would to get the same amount of interviews.......in general of course.

And, if I were IMG I would interview at as many places as I could. I know I met several that had around 15 interviews just as a point.

I'm from one of the big three (four? five? I can't keep track) Caribbean schools. I applied to eighty-ish psych programs and will have done 14 interviews by the end of the month. I also declined/cancelled a couple. However, I do have classmates who have only gotten a couple of interviews, even in other not-super-competitive specialties. They generally have at least one of the following traits:
1. Low Step scores
2. Limited themselves to a certain region (i.e. must do residency in California)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from one of the big three (four? five? I can't keep track) Caribbean schools. I applied to eighty-ish psych programs and will have done 14 interviews by the end of the month. I also declined/cancelled a couple. However, I do have classmates who have only gotten a couple of interviews, even in other not-super-competitive specialties. They generally have at least one of the following traits:
1. Low Step scores
2. Limited themselves to a certain region (i.e. must do residency in California)

Impressive, congrats, well done. Out of curiosity, what type of stats you have and did you do 2-3 months of psych elective? I inquire because I have close friends were are carribean applicants, "solid stats", but are struggling to get more than 5-6 IVs.

Thanks! :cat:
My Step scores are in the 230 range with CK higher than Step 1, basic sciences GPA in the upper 80s, honored most rotations. I did a couple months of psych electives as well - one inpatient adult and one outpatient child and adolescent. Strong LORs/MSPE, personal statement that I'm pretty proud of, etc.
I am definitely not some ridiculously amazing medical student. I've just worked hard, avoided making any major mistakes, and been nice to the people I've met along the way (Mostly. I was contemplating murder by the end of my ob-gyn rotation.)

How good are those stats for Cali psych programs for carrib USIMG also from top 4-5?
Did you interview in Cali?

I know that a lot of programs say that they accept applications with a pending CS result. But do you guys think that IMGs really need to be ECFMG certified at the time of application to stand a chance?

you need to at the very least be ECFMG verified which means passing step 1 and step 2. There are too many IMGs to waste time looking at people who don't have the basic qualifications for residency. it doesn't necessarily need to be at the time of application a month here and there may be fine but still would significantly reduce the number of interviews you get not having it at the beginning and also delay the invitations for interview. the CS exam is important for IMGs and pretty much no one else. no one is going to give you the benefit of the doubt to pass it.

Reactions: 1 users
How good are those stats for Cali psych programs for carrib USIMG also from top 4-5?
Did you interview in Cali?

I wouldn't be a good resource for that info; I'm a Midwesterner and I hate big cities, so you can imagine how many California programs I applied at! But from talking to friends, I think it's somewhat easier for an IMG to get into a good program in the Midwest compared to the West Coast.

Reactions: 1 user

A decision that has doomed many applicants in many specialties from all schools.

/seriously, how does someone smart enough to get derm-worthy board scores not have the sense to realize only applying to Cali derm programs might not be the safest idea?

Reactions: 1 users