How is this possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nickelbackfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was browsing job listings from different specialties out of boredom and found this

http://www.merritthawkins.com/job-search/job-details.aspx?job=12906&contract=166542

I'm assuming this is coming mainly from cosmetic procedures?

Doesn't sound like it, my guess is through volume. I've seen this ad for months now. The fact that no one has jumped on the offer for such a long period of time and the fact they don't even advertise the group name is a tipoff there's a catch (as there usually is with positions obtained through a recruiter)

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't sound like it, my guess is through volume. I've seen this ad for months now. The fact that no one has jumped on the offer for such a long period of time and the fact they don't even advertise the group name is a tipoff there's a catch (as there usually is with positions obtained through a recruiter)
LOL! The moment I saw recruiter I knew there was a catch. Always too good to be true.

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of catch would there be? Excessive procedures, pressure to produce, illegal coding, ect? Could it be possible they have a favorable payor mix and refuse HMO insurance?

Last edited:
What kind of catch would there be? Excessive procedures, pressure to produce, illegal coding, ect? Could it be possible they have a favorable payor mix and refuse HMO insurance?

Could be all the above. Florida is a large state, Miami may be desirable to some people, the panhandle not so much, I'm never a big fan when the recruiter isnt even willing to tell me where the practice is located and give me the practice website. There could be pressure to perform multiple procedures on each patient. You could be seeing double digit patients/hour. Coding practices could be less than legitimate. They could certainly just simply have high volume with a favorable payor mix. Maybe I'm just being too cynical but places in desirable locations with high starting bases and an enjoyable work environment don't require advertising, let alone a recruiter. In my (too soon?) jaded mind, there has to be a catch.

Just wondering, how does a resident typically find a job after residency? Is it through word of mouth or a recruiter?

Just wondering, how does a resident typically find a job after residency? Is it through word of mouth or a recruiter?

Word of mouth is usually how a lot of the betters jobs fill (networking at the AAD, at local meetings, through friends, etc.) That being said, I've had co-residents find positions through recruiters or by simply cold-calling in the area where they wish to be.

Like everyone has said -- if something sounds too good to be true... bank on it being so.

It's neither impossible nor easy to make those numbers. It happens, though... but you will be working for it.

Could be all the above. Florida is a large state, Miami may be desirable to some people, the panhandle not so much, I'm never a big fan when the recruiter isnt even willing to tell me where the practice is located and give me the practice website. There could be pressure to perform multiple procedures on each patient. You could be seeing double digit patients/hour. Coding practices could be less than legitimate. They could certainly just simply have high volume with a favorable payor mix. Maybe I'm just being too cynical but places in desirable locations with high starting bases and an enjoyable work environment don't require advertising, let alone a recruiter. In my (too soon?) jaded mind, there has to be a catch.

Spot on.

Reality check for the new kids: don't expect to make bank and work in what is considered a desirable location. Two reasons:

- desirable locations tend to be saturated which limits your volume
- saturation lends to unfavorable reimbursement rates

This is not 1990 nor even 2000; even in dermatology the "shortage" spoken of is largely nonsense -- and you really will not find any shortage in "desirable" areas.

That is not to say that it cannot be done... but don't count on it -- the structural headwinds are too great. If you want to make money and have a nice beach house go somewhere that optimizes the two factors highlighted above... and travel to your beach house.