About the ads

how long does it take to get a license?

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by swiftly, Oct 18, 2005.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swiftly

swiftly Junior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    So I want to bring up two scenarios...

First, if I graduate from US medical school, how long does it take to become a licensend physician in California? What are the requirements? Can you only complete one year of residency and become licensed? The second scenario would be if I were to graduate from a foreign medical school (ie Tel Aviv Univ)...does it take longer to become licensed?

Basically, what I am getting at is that if I just wanted to be licensed and not complete the full residency, is that possible in California to be a GP or something of the sort???

Thank you
  2. docB

docB Chronically painful Administrator SDN Senior Moderator Lifetime Donor

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN Published Author SDN 10+ Year Member
    In CA you can get a license after you have completed one year of post grad training. It took me about 5 months from application to license (US school).
  3. redstorm

redstorm Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    depnds on the state

NY state believe it or not takes about 5- 6 weeks..

california takes 6 months.. they want fingerprints.. from state department to clear... letter from first grade teacher.. and third grade teacher.. etc etc etc..

there are certain states that are notoriously a pain in the ass.. those being california, new jersey, texas, florida. thats all i can think of..
  4. AJM

AJM SDN Moderator Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Yes, in California you can get a full license after one year of training. (Actually, you have to get a full license at that time in order to continue residency training).
    It takes a while to get, so they usually recommend starting the license application around March of your intern year so that you can get it by August or so.
    And I'd like to also add my two cents that the California licensure process is a complete pain in the arse, and I'd never want to go through that again....
  5. group_theory

group_theory EX-TER-MIN-ATE!' Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 10+ Year Member
    Quick question - what information do we have to retain from medical school when applying for a full unrestricted license? Just the date of entrance and graduation? Where we did our rotations? Where and when we did our rotations? Name of the guest lecturers who talked on Oct 12, 2003? In general, what paperwork can I burn and info purge from my mind?

Would the answer change if someone is a graduate of a LCME/AOA school seeking a license in the states vs someone who graduated from a non-LCME/AOA school seeking license in the state?

Thanks =)
  6. Chief Resident

Chief Resident Removed

I heard some states may have you come in for an interview too . What's up with that?
  7. AJM

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    It depends on the state -- every state has it's own rules. If you have a particular state in mind that you want to get a license in, check out that state's medical board website for details.
  8. AJM

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    lol - I think you have to do that in Vermont... totally ridiculous. In Massachusetts you have to get a letter of support from another physician who holds a MA license -- also ridiculous, because what if you are moving to the state and don't know anyone in Massachusetts?
  9. turquoiseblue

turquoiseblue

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    anyone know if it is possible to get waivers for 15 days short of 2 months training for licensure in certain states? which states are those. Michigan is strict on that and wont allow that.

also how long do licenses take? I'm going via fcvs route. it seems to be taking forever. i started around oct/nov 2010 and im still waiting.....how much longer?
  10. JackADeli

JackADeli

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Dude...

1. just make the 50 phone calls to the individual boards. your situation is fairly specific and I suspect there are limited people with a "15 days short" issue. Further, I suspect the board reviews and will define your deficit on a case by case basis. Thus one person's calculation of "15 days" may not be viewed by the board in the same manner as the next applicant. So, spend the day on the phone.

2. Most states will list on their website general estimates of how long the license will take. Waivers and special considerations always cause the process to take longer. If the state you are applying to does not accept your "15 days" special circumstances, it will take forever.

I am just wondering if you simply sit around trying to determine when will be the next occasion for you to restart your special needs questioning. :confused:Please get you some specific help.:idea:
  11. turquoiseblue

turquoiseblue

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Thanks for the advice, but that last comment was pretty uncalled for. if i have a special question i will ask it because I don't know what to do, okay? there are plenty in similar situations, so welcome the "special needs" people like a doctor or even any humane human being is supposed to.:idea:
  12. Arch Guillotti

Arch Guillotti Senior Member Administrator SDN Senior Moderator Lifetime Donor

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 10+ Year Member
    Necro-bumping a six year old thread to ask an oft-repeated question is bad netiquette. Closing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.