How long for neuro at your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We currently have a required 2 week neuro rotation 3rd year, but the neuro people are pushing to make it 4 weeks. I'm just trying to figure out what normal is and if other schools are seeing an increase in neuro time. Supposedly it's part of a "national trend" to increase neuro according to our faculty, but who knows how accurate that is.

Members don't see this ad.

4 required weeks for us. Haven;t done it yet to tell you if that is too much or not. Seems reasonable though.

Mine is 2 weeks. It's a part of Psych/neuro where psych is 4 and yeah, neuro 2. Half the group starts on neuro then does psych, then the other half does neuro the last 2 weeks. They have separate exams and get separate grades.

For the class that graduated in May, they had 6 days of neuro with psych. The students had to go to a neurology service on Wednesday every week. I think it would've been better to do 3 and 3, but that's probably because psych has been the bane of my existence since M1 year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine is 2 weeks. It's a part of Psych/neuro where psych is 4 and yeah, neuro 2. Half the group starts on neuro then does psych, then the other half does neuro the last 2 weeks. They have separate exams and get separate grades.

For the class that graduated in May, they had 6 days of neuro with psych. The students had to go to a neurology service on Wednesday every week. I think it would've been better to do 3 and 3, but that's probably because psych has been the bane of my existence since M1 year.

We have 6 weeks of psych. I'm excited about it, but then I love psych.

What sucks is that we now have 2 2 week selectives, and supposedly they might eliminate one of those to make more room for neuro. Now I'm curious how many selectives you guys have if you have 4 weeks for neuro.

Neuro isn't a required rotation for us at all.

4 weeks for us and it was 4 weeks too long for me :sleep::sleep::sleep:

At our school neuro is 1 week within a psych rotation for 8 total weeks. I really wish that the neuro was at least a week longer. I suppose that if you are really interested you could do an elective 4th year.

We had 4 weeks of either neuro or ortho-i ended up doing both. I've found the neuro to be useful on many other rotations so I'm glad I did it, tho it did drag a bit near the end....

Hmm, thanks for the input. It seems like schools are pretty divided on this. I also noticed that the other school in the state doesn't even have a required neuro rotation. :confused:

We have 4 weeks required.

I would have preferred a little less, although I suppose my neuro skills are strong as a result of the long rotation.

We have 4 weeks required.

I would have preferred a little less, although I suppose my neuro skills are strong as a result of the long rotation.

Yeah, that's probably true. I wonder, though, if that's a particularly useful skill to have as opposed to other skills that you might pick up in a selective or other rotation.

Apparently our school was pretty cool with 2 weeks until a new course director showed up and claimed we needed 4 weeks. Maybe we do.

We do neuro and psych as one 8-week block. 3 weeks are neuro and 5 are psych. The bad part is that both shelf exams are on the same day after the 8 weeks are finished.

We have either 2 or 4 depending on how you look at it.

Does anyone have geriatric psych/neuro included in their neuro rotation?

Members don't see this ad :)
We have a required 4 week neuro rotation to be taken sometime in 4th year. We have a 6 week psych-only rotation as part of the typical 3rd year rotation. There's also an option of doing a 4 week combined neurosurgery/neurology specialty rotation as part of our 12 week surgery rotation, but I don't think it counts towards our required 4 week neuro rotation in 4th year.

Not required at my school...it's totally elective...but if you decide to do an elective in Neuro...it has to be 4 weeks.

Cheers,

J

its so weird that alot of DO schools dont require a neuro rotation. nycom doesnt either. what is up with that?

we can take it 4th year as a medicine selective or an elective, and its 4 weeks in length.

its so weird that alot of DO schools dont require a neuro rotation. nycom doesnt either. what is up with that?

we can take it 4th year as a medicine selective or an elective, and its 4 weeks in length.

Yeah, I checked the DO school in my state, and it looks like they don't require it either. As I recall from applying to DO schools, it seemed like very few DOs went into neurology.

i believe we had a 3 week requirement in 3rd year. Was the worst rotation by far.

Ours is 4 wks of Neuro and 4 wks of Psych required during 3rd year. I'm going into Neuro, but I wouldn't have if I hadn't been required to do the rotation.

The trend is toward making neuro a required third year rotation. I have heard this many times along the interview trail from admins who were very pleased with it. At my school neuro is a 4 week required 3rd year rotation. This is a change from 2-3 years ago when it was a 4th year rotation. Even with this change, we have plenty of elective and selective time. Overall we have 4 weeks of medicine selectives, 4 weeks of surgical selectives, 2 weeks of OB selectives, 2 weeks of psych selectives, one month of AI/SUBI/ACE time, and many months of elective time.

The trend is toward making neuro a required third year rotation. I have heard this many times along the interview trail from admins who were very pleased with it. At my school neuro is a 4 week required 3rd year rotation. This is a change from 2-3 years ago when it was a 4th year rotation. Even with this change, we have plenty of elective and selective time. Overall we have 4 weeks of medicine selectives, 4 weeks of surgical selectives, 2 weeks of OB selectives, 2 weeks of psych selectives, one month of AI/SUBI/ACE time, and many months of elective time.

I'm sure it's good from neuro's perspective, and judging from your avatar, that's what you're going into. As mentioned above, our problem is that we only have 4 weeks of selectives total in 3rd year, and losing 2 weeks to neuro, would leave us with only 2 weeks in 3rd year unless time is cut from one of our other core rotations. I'm not there yet, but it seems important to get some flexibility in 3rd year just because you have to get your residency application underway so soon in 4th year.

i'd gladly dontate a couple of weeks of my 12 week surgery and 12 week medicine rotations to neuro during 3rd year. NOTHING needs to be that long. i truly feel at a disadvantage not having taken neuro 3rd year, and it sucks to have to waste a 4th year rotation on something just to get me on par with everyone else.

We have 4 weeks of Psych and 4 weeks of Neuro. Psych has to be taken during 3rd year, but neuro can be taken either year.

As for selectives, I'm posting another thread about that. But, essentially, we have 8 weeks "up for grabs" during 3rd year. But, aside from neuro, we have eight 2-week clerkships that we can take either year (but all are required).

I'm sure it's good from neuro's perspective, and judging from your avatar, that's what you're going into. As mentioned above, our problem is that we only have 4 weeks of selectives total in 3rd year, and losing 2 weeks to neuro, would leave us with only 2 weeks in 3rd year unless time is cut from one of our other core rotations. I'm not there yet, but it seems important to get some flexibility in 3rd year just because you have to get your residency application underway so soon in 4th year.

It sounds like your school isn't giving you guys much time to explore your options before applications (especially SF match apps) need to go in. I wish you the best of luck getting things straightened out between your reduced third year time and your initial fourth year time.

It sounds like your school isn't giving you guys much time to explore your options before applications (especially SF match apps) need to go in. I wish you the best of luck getting things straightened out between your reduced third year time and your initial fourth year time.

Yeah, I think that is my bigger complaints, and I'm jumping on neuro out of frustration. :) Neuro's even on my list of possible specialties.

6 weeks psych, 2 weeks neuro here. In fact, I am on my neuro block as we speak.

They did mention in orientation, though, that if you push for it you can have 4 weeks of neuro at the expense of your 2 week psych elective.

Not sure how I feel about making neuro a 3rd year core... neuro is a fascinating subfield, but so is cards, GI, oncology, etc etc, and there is only so much time in 3rd year to go around.

Not sure how I feel about making neuro a 3rd year core... neuro is a fascinating subfield, but so is cards, GI, oncology, etc etc, and there is only so much time in 3rd year to go around.

Yeah, it seems like there are so many possible good thing to make required 3rd year rotations. It does make you wonder why some things make it and some don't.

We may have 4wks of Neuro, but Medicine and Surgery are both 8 wks not 12 like some schools and we start 3rd year in May instead of July so we're ahead of other schools in being able to get plenty of 4th year taken care of before residency application time.

We had no required neurology in either 3rd or 4th year.

And thank God for that.

Zero here. Thankfully. But our school also doesn't require an ER elective which I think is a big thumbs down.

We have 3 weeks of required neuro, with the option of taking it 4th year. Otherwise, there are no electives 3rd year. The people who knew they were going into radiology, ophtho, etc., generally chose to take neuro fourth year. Others took those electives early fourth year. So, there were people who weren't able to decide on a specialty until fourth year, but as far as I know, this didn't create any problems with residency applications.

We have a month long block including 2 weeks of neurology and 2 weeks of neurosurgery. It's a pass/fail rotation. Half of our class takes it in the junior year and half take it as seniors.

Was it boring or hard or both?

It was boring because the residents for the most part weren't interested in teaching/ or were just stupid in general. Half of the attendings were great, the other half were completely disinterested in students. Neuro in general is an interesting subject, it just depends on how its presented

We currently have a required 2 week neuro rotation 3rd year, but the neuro people are pushing to make it 4 weeks. I'm just trying to figure out what normal is and if other schools are seeing an increase in neuro time. Supposedly it's part of a "national trend" to increase neuro according to our faculty, but who knows how accurate that is.

its 4 weeks at my school

We have 6 weeks of psych. I'm excited about it, but then I love psych.

What sucks is that we now have 2 2 week selectives, and supposedly they might eliminate one of those to make more room for neuro. Now I'm curious how many selectives you guys have if you have 4 weeks for neuro.

USF has neuropsych as a combined rotation with 6 weeks psych and 2 weeks of neuri.

At UNM we have 4 weeks of Psych and 4 weeks on Neuro during our third year and I think that 4 weeks of Neuro is 2 weeks too long.

4 weeks Neuro which is combined with 4 weeks of Psych and 1 week of Optho to make one rotation.

Zero required weeks. During third year there's a two week neurosurg selective available during surgery and then a three week neuro selective while on medicine.

How long?
too long - but if you want a # it is 4 weeks of ridiculously structured time, I for one will at least relish the fact that I will be herded in a grade school fashion from item to event to item... so that my brain can turn off and be a zombie - a unhappy nodding zombie.

ps: we have 6 weeks psych which is separate, and amusing.

Finishing up my neuro block now, and I'm actually now seriously considering it as a career. Interesting stuff.

But still. There is no real logic in making neuro a core block while not doing the same with cards, GI or heme/onc, not to mention the surgical specialties like ortho. Schools should reserve one 3rd year block to be an elective in any med speciality, surgical specialty, or ER, at the student's discretion.

Our is 1 month long. It is an intense one month that includes two weeks of neuro icu, 1 week of outpatient, and 1 week of gen neuro inpatient. Studying for the shelf was kinda rough...

Our is 1 month long. It is an intense one month that includes two weeks of neuro icu, 1 week of outpatient, and 1 week of gen neuro inpatient. Studying for the shelf was kinda rough...

Previous post - Feb 7, 2008

7ec.png