How long is an internship good for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slimpickins

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may seem like a strange question, and it probably is not necessarily rads specific, but I am considering rads so I figured I'd ask it here. I am currently in the military HPSP program, and here is my plan after graduating:

- PGY-1 with .mil
- 3 years of GMO (general medical officer aka PCP) tour
- start civilian residency after 4 years total payback to Uncle Sam

On the military side of things, this is kosher. Here is my question, say I do a TY for PGY-1, will rad programs accept that initial year as my intern year, despite having completed it 3 years prior? Or will I have to "re-do" my intern year?

I apologize if this has been answered before, but I wasn't able to find any specific answers. I didn't know if this was program dependent or an ACGME accreditation issue. I appreciate y'alls insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you'd have to repeat anything. You would just apply 1 cycle ahead of when you want to start. A classmate who is now pgy1 is doing that with rads. He was a strong applicant (good board scores, AOA, etc.) who decided that the military rads residencies weren't high quality. He's planning to serve his time as a GMO then do civilian residency.

Reactions: 1 user
1)There are requirements about what types of internships can count. For example it is supposed to be at least 10 months of clinical medicine and some fields don't count (I think pysch doesn't count). I recommend researching theses.
2) You can just apply to match 15 months prior to your start date
3) You can also look into the "R" spots. These spots are radiology spots that match into a PGY2 spot for that same year (meaning you get your placement on March Match day and subsequently start your PGY2 radiology position in July of that same year).

Reactions: 1 user