How long to wait for a confirmation??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Venus21pam

Freakin' peachy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an interview invitation couple days ago.
They wanted a reponse with 3 different days I could attend.
The specifically requested to respond via email (no telephone # listed).
I emailed them that same night and haven't heard anything back.
How long should I wait before trying to reach them again?

Members don't see this ad.

I had this same thing happen to me. First I looked at my sent messages and confirmed that I had not screwed up the email address. Finally, after two business days (with two weekend days in between) I couldn't stop obsessing about how maybe the mail server messed up, or maybe I shouldn't have used all caps. I wrote a second email (with all lower case) stating that I just wanted to confirm if my prior email was received and reiterated the date I preferred. I got a response about a day or so later that my first email had been received and I would be receiving an email later with details. This took another four days or so to come, so if I had waited a week or so then I would have gotten a response regardless. I didn't get the impression that they were mad at me for checking so I guess it was worth it for the peace of mind (I have heard stories of people trying to schedule interviews mere hours after receiving an invite only to be told that all the slots had been filled). You have to decide what will make you more comfortable.

I waited 3 weeks for one program to confirm already. I was about to die as its a top 2 program for me. When I finally got confirmation, it came as

We are looking forward to seeing you Dec 15.

Thats all.

I sent a second email to my first two programs to offer invites on the 4th business day, stating I was working on travel plans and wanted to make sure those were the dates I was confirmed for. One emailed back immediately apologizing, stating she must have got busy while writing the email. The other sent back a short, yes, I'm sending out the confirmations this afternoon note (but they pay for the hotel so it's nice!). Then the next 2 the confirmations came back the next day.

OK, so I'm not going to panic just yet.
For my first two invites the confirmations came back either the same day or the next day morning so that's why I was a little worried.
I'll give them a week and email them again if I don't hear back by then.
Thanks for the info guys.

Interesting, I just got an interview confirmation today at 5.49 pm.
Now that is a little weird - since when do secretaries work on Sundays...:confused:

Did it go through ERAS? I got an invite the other day timed 0347 AM. There's something screwy with that system!

No, mine didn't go through ERAS. It went directly to my email.
And it was personal, didn't say "dear applicant" but "dear Venus" etc.
I found it pretty weird since the program is in the same state that I live so same time zone. Go figure!

Very weird! All mine have had my name on them though.