How many acceptances do schools actually hand out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Colonius

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I was looking at the stats of this school I interviewed at. It's a public school that only interviews about 70/1200 out-of-staters (which I am) and matriculates about 25.

This is a small school, rural, not very well known, not in the top fifty. I love it and want to go there so I'm wondering, are my chances realistically better than 25/70?

And if so, how much better? Do these kinds of schools generally give out acceptances to 1.5x the number of people for whom seats are available? 2x the number?

Keep in mind, I'm talking about all acceptances for this school until the end of the cycle. This includes people who may get off the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

Your school will give out 37 out-of-state acceptances this year.

Hey so I was looking at the stats of this school I interviewed at. It's a public school that only interviews about 70/1200 out-of-staters (which I am) and matriculates about 25.

This is a small school, rural, not very well known, not in the top fifty. I love it and want to go there so I'm wondering, are my chances realistically better than 25/70?

And if so, how much better? Do these kinds of schools generally give out acceptances to 1.5x the number of people for whom seats are available? 2x the number?

Keep in mind, I'm talking about all acceptances for this school until the end of the cycle. This includes people who may get off the waitlist.

I believe that US News and World Report publishes these statistics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools seem to accept about twice the numbers of students that will ultimately matriculate. Some schools deviate from this, obviously. Here are some approximations.

Temple in-state applicants:

300 of 1200 applicants are interviewed
200 of 300 interviewees are accepted
100 of 200 accepted applicants will matriculate

NYMC out-of-state applicants:

900 of 9000 applicants are interviewed
500 of 900 interviewees are accepted
130 of 900 accepted applicants will matriculate

Anyway, I have still have access to the MSAR & US News. Give me the school name and I'll PM you the data.

class size (i.e seats) x 1 / yield rate = # of acceptances given out.

For most schools it ends up being 2-3 acceptances per set.

So if the class size is a typical 150 students or so, then the acceptance pool would be...

...wait for it...

Tree fiddy!

Does a situation ever occur where more accepted people choose to attend a school than there are seats available? If so what happens?

Does a situation ever occur where more accepted people choose to attend a school than there are seats available? If so what happens?

Yes, happened last year (with Penn I think). Basically you could sign up for a lottery to defer a year and the school would pick up the tuition tab for the first two years of school. If you didn't win the lottery, you started school as scheduled.

I'm sure it’s happened at other places with different incentives for deferment.

It is every Dean of Admission's nightmare. It happens rarely. Students will be asked to volunteer to defer a year. To make it easier to do so, sometime the school will offer a year's tuition.

Yes. My school offered us the opportunity to defer a year without questions. When enough people didn't take that offer, they offered to let people do their MPH first year instead of between third and fourth year, and offered a $40K scholarship.

Consequently, they've been much more conservative with admissions the past two years.

The only way I'd defer a year is if the school paid me my current salary. It's less than tuition so maybe I could convince one of them to do it. Working a mindless dead end job sucks.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

The only way I'd defer a year is if the school paid me my current salary. It's less than tuition so maybe I could convince one of them to do it. Working a mindless dead end job sucks.

+1

If I still had the income I have, but didn't have any responsibilities for a year, that would be great!

ditto!