How many activities in the Work/Activities section is considered to be average?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YourAveragePremed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I'm scoping out all the potential extracurriculars I could pursue, I'm wondering how many would be a solid amount. I feel like all the necessary components could be covered in just four slots (clinical exp, nonclinical volunteering, research, shadowing)..

Members don't see this ad.

Don't focus on filling out the W/A section yet, focus on activities you're passionate about, and it'll flesh itself out. As somebody who filled all 15 slots, I had around half of my slots dedicated to things that I never thought I'd be able to throw on a med school app (the most random athletic and musical hobbies, mentoring gigs, entrepreneurial activities, etc.) Just focus on doing you. The slots will fill emselves up in no time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
As I'm scoping out all the potential extracurriculars I could pursue, I'm wondering how many would be a solid amount. I feel like all the necessary components could be covered in just four slots (clinical exp, nonclinical volunteering, research, shadowing)..
9-10 are the average listed.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll also add 9-10 RELEVANT activities (addressing entering competencies and experiences) of the 15 usually included. It's okay for more, but these should be the most important to you.

Beyond the four you've listed, almost everyone lists a hobby, performing art, or athletic activity (doesn't have to be intramural or club sport). If you don't already have something you enjoy for fun, develop a hobby to help you decompress - you'll need it.

It is not uncommon to see paid employment (non-clinical), teaching/tutoring (TA for a course when you are a upper level student), presentation and/or publication listed separate from research, honors/awards (make sense if it is awarded to one nationally, or even just one person at your school), leadership (directing your peers toward a common goal).

You need not have all of these but those are some of the categories that your work and experience might cover beyond the big four.

Reactions: 3 users
Beyond the four you've listed, almost everyone lists a hobby, performing art, or athletic activity (doesn't have to be intramural or club sport). If you don't already have something you enjoy for fun, develop a hobby to help you decompress - you'll need it.

It is not uncommon to see paid employment (non-clinical), teaching/tutoring (TA for a course when you are a upper level student), presentation and/or publication listed separate from research, honors/awards (make sense if it is awarded to one nationally, or even just one person at your school), leadership (directing your peers toward a common goal).

You need not have all of these but those are some of the categories that your work and experience might cover beyond the big four.
Ah that's good to know; as a side note, I know it's preferable to have long-term commitments to activities, but would it matter if I became a TA for just one semester for the experience, or would it be better to have multiple semesters as a TA?

Ah that's good to know; as a side note, I know it's preferable to have long-term commitments to activities, but would it matter if I became a TA for just one semester for the experience, or would it be better to have multiple semesters as a TA?
Try one semester and see how you like it.

TA is one of those activities that is often just for a single term. That's completely acceptable. What looks hinky is being involved in a community service activity for 15 weeks in your sophomore year and then dropping it with the idea that you've checked that box and are moving on.

Reactions: 3 users
Try one semester and see how you like it.
It can be a good way to get to know a professor and potentially get a good LOR, especially if you do it for more than 1 semester.

Reactions: 1 user