How many AP classes is too many?

Bynumite17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I personally took 7 APs this year. Your schedule looks very manageable. AP Psych and AP Govt will be your easier APs.

AP Gov is a cakewalk - Most of my class actually finished the AP test an hour early, and I got a nice nap in. Bio isn't too bad as long as you keep up with the work. I hear bad things about Chem - and plus you'll still be wanting to take Gchem in college whether you pass the test or not. Can't say anything about Psych, though I can't imagine it'd be that bad. I took AP Eng Lit... (which I'm guessing is Eng IV?) other than being a lot of work, it wasn't that bad. The AP test was a tad tricky though, but I still passed fine.

Good luck, and remember that for the most part, AP classes are actually harder than college classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only AP from your list that I see being more challenging and time-consuming is AP chem. AP English Lit for me was just a lot of reading and writing papers, but nothing too too bad. Gov is pretty laid-back.

Your schedule looks pretty doable to me. You'll just have to put in more effort than your peers. Don't fall behind and you should be fine.

AP - Psych is pretty easy - i had to take my test a semester later than the class and still managed to pass with a week of review!

AP -Gov't is easy too

AP bio -- i never took and the people that did didn't do so well in it, but you like science class so it should be ok:cool:

I didn't take anymore AP other than US History and World which were two semesters long, US history was awesome can't say the same for world though. The only hard ones i see from your list are bio, chem, and physics i think you can manage them though. Good luck:luck:

i wouldn't take chem and ap bio the same year.

I know this question is subjective but can I please get some advice on my schedule for senior yr next year. I'm a high work ethic student and I don't mind putting in the time to study and what not. My unweighted (4.0 scale) scale GPA is 3.75.

Next year my schedule may be:

AP Chem
AP Bio
AP Psych
Pre-AP Physics
AP Eng IV
Ap Gov/Eco
Dual Credit Pre-Cal

Please be honest as to whether you would recommend this to me. I'm strong in science classes so that's why you see like 4 of them lol. If anything is to be changed I may go from DC to Pre-AP PreCal as I'm decent (usually A's) in math subjects but it's not exactly my forte.

Would love some responses. thanks.

I think it depends on what you can handle, and maybe more importantly, your school. (At my HS, taking more than 4 AP/Honor courses was considered educational suicide - you may make a 5, but your letter grade suffers). Colleges look at the letter grade, the number just gets you college credit. You're gonna be retaking Chem, Bio and Physics anyway in college if your goal is to become a physician, so why kill yourself now? You'll get senioritis, trust me.

TL;DR:
- Don't take Bio and Chem in the same year, like some other posters have suggested, choose one. iirc, they are very, very intensive in high school, i think my professors required weekend meetings and we still didn't finish going over everything.
- I would take a maximum of 4 AP classes, do well, relax. Enjoy what time you have left of being in HS :oops:

5 APs... wow!

Dude, you'll be busy applying to colleges first semester and second semester senior year will be your chance to relaaaaaaaaaaaaaax (a little, not too much). I'm not saying this as a high school student, but as a high school teacher. ;)

Granted, you don't want to fall off a cliff with your grades, but if you burn out by taking 7 APs, your college grades will suffer. That will make you a less desirable applicant to med schools.

Last edited:
I don't know about your school. But AP chem and AP bio are both double period AP classes. Ap psychology isn't a cakewalk per-say because of all the writing required = tons of hwk. AP government just throw it out, I took the class sophomore year of HS and I honestly don't recall a thing. AP english 4 or AP litt, is a course which requires a lot of reading but its certainly do able. Physics = annoying, and pre-calc = studying and annoying.

I would tell you right now. AP bio + AP psych + Ap litt + pre-calc + 2 electives is the best if you don't want to murder your gpa.

As a Pre-Med Advisor, I can tell you that not ALL AP courses are accepted for medical school. I know that students like AP courses because it cuts down on how many classes need to be taken in college, HOWEVER, I recently looked at the medical school acceptance of pre-med prerequisites:
Of the 132 medical schools in the US, about 50 will take any and all AP courses, and about 20 accept SOME AP coursework (only English, only English & Chemistry, only 1 semester of Biology, everything except O Chem, etc.) Then there are another 20 more that accept AP coursework IF it is supplemented by upper division college coursework (more English, more Biology, etc.) Finally, the rest don't take ANY AP.

I am in California, and in our Community College, CSU & UC systems, it is very difficult to re-take courses (that is, you have AP credit but HAVE to take the class in college also for medical school - it is considered repeating.)

It may sound like I am suggesting not to take AP courses, but I always suggest to students to take all prerequisite courses in college, so that you can apply as widely as you want to when it comes time for the medical school application.

Dr. R.
www.advisepremeds.com

As someone that conducts interviews for an Ivy League school and looks very closely at scheduled classes and past grades, ECs, etc. here is my input (along things to think about).

What are your interests? It's hard to tell from your list. This to me looks like a course list that is trying to impress, but will not. If you really want to take that many APs, then and only then do so (but have very good justification for why you are taking that many APs). Honestly, I would not recommend it (even though it can be done).

This is senior year. There is going to be a lot of other things you need to do (college applications, interview (if applicable), ECs etc.). If you can take a little easier course load and do more things outside the classroom, this will be of great benefit. A lot of knowledge gained in some of these classes will be pretty useless to you (psych, gov).

I would not take AP chem, AP bio and pre-AP physics all in the same year. If I had to choose one to drop, I would wait to take physics when you are in college. A good bio / chem background will be good for the pre-med requirements though, in all likelihood, you will have to repeat very similar material when you start college.

Also, during spring semester senior year you should take it easy and get ready to work your butt off in college. That said, with this schedule you are going to have to sit for a lot of AP exams in the spring. I would limit yourself to no more than four, ideally three (bio, chem and english are probably the ones I'd definitely keep along with one of the "gut" APs). Pre-calc will be useful too since you will likely take calc in college.

Whatever you do, do not take a course load that is so heavy that by the time you start college, you have no stamina to do well. Even college kids mix in easy classes with hard classes. Hopefully this advice proves useful.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Your last post was crucial information missing from your first post. You should add Physics then (since you'll need it graduate).

If you don't need the ECs definitely don't do them as what you do in high school, for the most part, will be insignificant come med school admissions time.

Since you are already know where you want to go and are likely in, just take an easy senior year. I would only take those many APs if you really wanted to. 99.9% of applicant would not opt to have that schedule for fun (hang out with friends and do other fun things instead).

Honestly, you are going to learn what you for the MCAT in college (I don't think the APs helped me much, aside from chemistry. Biology might have helped me as well (had I taken it)). I think if you have that time to take that many APs there has to be something better you could be doing with your time (explore new hobbies, interests, develop social skills etc.).

Last edited:
I am in California, and in our Community College, CSU & UC systems, it is very difficult to re-take courses (that is, you have AP credit but HAVE to take the class in college also for medical school - it is considered repeating.)

This kind of caught my attention. I took AP Biology in senior year because I really enjoy this subject, not because I want college credit. My school required me to take the AP Exam even though I did not want to. I basically slept through half the exam. I'm pretty sure I got a lousy grade. If I choose not to send it to the college i am attending, will it have any affect on my transcrip (like counted as a class I repeated), grades, etc?

I know this question is subjective but can I please get some advice on my schedule for senior yr next year. I'm a high work ethic student and I don't mind putting in the time to study and what not.

Honestly this is how i felt in my junior year and tried to put as many classes on my schedule. when I got to senior year and got through the first semester, I recieved my acceptance letters and felt more relaxed. Then I just started to regret taking any extra class that I didnt need.

Students in their senior year, no matter how motivated they are will have the tendancy to slack off, even if just a little bit. However this may not apply to all, but it does apply to many.

This is your last year in high school, you should study but dont get stressed out by taking too many classes. you may enjoy other activities in this year. ... I had been given this advise and refused to take it before. though i later regreted it.

It is up to you to decide this. If you decide to take the classes and be truly dedicated all year , then that is good. Because whether you recieve AP credit for every class or not, you will be learning something that will help you in later years (at least the sciences and math) and hard work always pays off later :)

I say drop chem, since you said you weren't planning on skipping it in college anyway. General chem isn't too hard, and you can probably manage getting good grades without taking the AP class beforehand. It's senior year, time to relax a little before college starts. Have you taken chem before? If so, you should be fine.

Otherwise, all the other classes seem doable. I took bio and gov and they weren't too bad.
Make sure to look at your college to see what's accepted and what's not. For example, most colleges don't accept things related to your major unless you have a 4, some even a 5. Some don't recognize some classes at all. For example, what's the point of taking AP gov if the college doesn't give credit for it?

Don't worry, it'll be okay. Plus gov, econ, and psych are cakewalks.

I personally took 11 classes this year (8 AP/ honors, 1 art class, 2 CC lvl) in addition to my other activities (golf, mountain biking, jazz+symphonic bands, editor of yearbook).

Point is that it is manageable time wise. I was always able to complete all my work provided that I kept on top of things, and generally had all day Sunday to screw around. (I only sleep 5-6 hours though.) Also, if the teacher gives you time to do work in class, utilize it! It's amazing how much you can get done in that extra 10-15 minutes.

While I think that this is good preparation for a college course load, if you pan to slack off, forget it; you may find yourself receiving a denial letter from a college you were conditionally accepted to. Also, your AP credit may not be recognized by a professional school unless you took classes that were higher than that (upper division).

Personally, having done this once, I would say forget it if you care about goofing off + high GPA. I managed to keep a ~ 3.65 unweighted, but I would have died if my goal was to get a 4.0.

PM me if you have any questions. Good luck!

There is no such thing as "too many AP classes". There provide a nice boost for your GPA and also go towards college credit. I came into freshman year with 24 credits, giving me an edge over most of my peers. Remember that your AP's will not always supplant your college courses. They'll most likely exempt you from taking the Intro/100 level courses, but not the ones that count towards your major.
From my experience Psych, Gov, & Lit are EASY...well at least at my school. I had a 4, 4, and 5 respectively. Chem, Bio, and Physics are probably backbreaking, but I'm sure that with discipline and a strong work ethic, anything is possible.

There is no such thing as "too many AP classes". There provide a nice boost for your GPA and also go towards college credit. I came into freshman year with 24 credits, giving me an edge over most of my peers. Remember that your AP's will not always supplant your college courses. They'll most likely exempt you from taking the Intro/100 level courses, but not the ones that count towards your major.
From my experience Psych, Gov, & Lit are EASY...well at least at my school. I had a 4, 4, and 5 respectively. Chem, Bio, and Physics are probably backbreaking, but I'm sure that with discipline and a strong work ethic, anything is possible.

Why of course there is such a thing as too many! I almost messed up this year and signed up for seven myself...Not everyone can handle a full AP courseload, which is why selective colleges recommend taking challenging classes that you can handle and not shooting for that high GPA with an easy schedule. Speaking of GPA, some schools don't boost your GPA for AP courses; at my school, they are weighed just like an honors level course.

Why of course there is such a thing as too many! I almost messed up this year and signed up for seven myself...Not everyone can handle a full AP courseload, which is why selective colleges recommend taking challenging classes that you can handle and not shooting for that high GPA with an easy schedule. Speaking of GPA, some schools don't boost your GPA for AP courses; at my school, they are weighed just like an honors level course.
As I said it all depends on the school. For some reason AP's were easier at my school than elsewhere. Are honors-level courses at your school weighted? As long as you score a 4/5 on most of them you should be fine.

like others said, depends on your school. My junior year I managed EngLang, US Hist, Chem, Physics B, Calc AB, and Spanish 3 (not AP of course) and got straight As and passed all my exams with either a 4 or 5 besides English which I got a 3

I know this question is subjective but can I please get some advice on my schedule for senior yr next year. I'm a high work ethic student and I don't mind putting in the time to study and what not. My unweighted (4.0 scale) scale GPA is 3.75.

Next year my schedule may be:

AP Chem
AP Bio
AP Psych
Pre-AP Physics
AP Eng IV
Ap Gov/Eco
Dual Credit Pre-Cal

Please be honest as to whether you would recommend this to me. I'm strong in science classes so that's why you see like 4 of them lol. If anything is to be changed I may go from DC to Pre-AP PreCal as I'm decent (usually A's) in math subjects but it's not exactly my forte.

Would love some responses. thanks.
>>

Just something else to think about. Really, AP is great, but it's almost the same workload as the dual enrollment option. Since I assume you are planning to take the AP exams as a means of earning college credit, why not just try and dual enroll for chemistry and English comp? There are a lot of thread discouraging students from using AP credit in college since it might not meet every med school's prereq, so my suggestion is to at least inquire about the possibility of dual enrollment. Also, if you are >16, you don't need your high school's permission to take college level courses.

*dual enrollment is generally taking the actual college course on campus or at your high school for actual college credit. Often you are not in a class with other high school students, you are in a class with college students.