how many classes can i take if I work 12 hours/week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t510

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations if I want a chance to do well?
Should I start off with 2? and then try to move up to 3 classes?

Members don't see this ad.

You could do 3 courses IMO but you'd have to devote at least 1-2 hours studying each subject each day pretty intensively. Just my .02

3 classes should be do-able since you're only working 12 hours a week. I'm working 40hrs a week and taking 2 classes a semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 classes should be do-able since you're only working 12 hours a week. I'm working 40hrs a week and taking 2 classes a semester.

Soon to be working full time here, how do you actually have the hours in the day to devote to 8 hours of work (plus driving) and then 2 classes? I'm hoping to start my post bacc journey next semester and am going to start slow with 1 course. How do you do it effectively?

Soon to be working full time here, how do you actually have the hours in the day to devote to 8 hours of work (plus driving) and then 2 classes? I'm hoping to start my post bacc journey next semester and am going to start slow with 1 course. How do you do it effectively?

I'm fortunate to have my work pretty close by my house with flexible hours. I work 6:30am-4:30pm with every other Friday off and I have a community college which is like 10 minutes away from my work as well. My classes start from 5:15-830.

It really depends on you and your commute. I worked 20 hours a week with a 30ish minute commute my entire undergraduate career and didn't do amazing. As an adult, I did as many as 2 classes per semester working >40 hours a week and on call with no issues. You have to sacrifice your free time if you want to do it that way.

I would absolutely recommend starting slow. You would probably be fine with 3 but if you are trying to show some sort of reinvention you do not want to sacrifice grades to add an extra class.

I've always worked 15 hrs/wk in undergrad, taking 16-17 hours per term. I think that's normal, most people have to work during school. I'm working 25 hrs/wk this year (senior) to pay for apps which sucks, but it's doable for sure. 2-3 classes +12 hours should be more than ok
I'll get attacked for this I'm sure, but if 3 classes in undergrad intro sciences and 12 hours of work is too much, I'd start asking yourself some very honest questions about how you will cope in medical school, clerkships, and residency

I worked about 10+ hrs/wk for a good chunk of undergrad and took anywhere from12-18 credits.

The last few years I've been in grad school in a city 1.5-2 hrs away one way along with working at least 40 hrs/wk along with other activities.

As for how many classes should you take, it really depends in the specific classes and what else you have going on. My 12 credit semester was probably the one with the heaviest, craziest workload. So, while at some point you need to demonstrate you can handle a rigorous courseload, it's perfectly fine to start slow and ease into it, then build up in future semesters. When you are getting ready to register make sure you try to check out the syllabi to get a feel for the workload, number and frequency of assignments, etc. Also check with fellow students at your school about workloads as well as possible class combinations to avoid. Then decide on how many you can handle.

I work 40 hrs a week with two classes and a lab.

I completely agree with this statement. You do need to demonstrate the ability to handle a rigorous coursework. For a non-trad working 40 hours a week, you can do that with two or three classes. On the flip side, working 10 hours a week while only taking organic chemistry would not convince an adcom of this. That being said, you have quite some time to demonstrate that ability. Remember, full time undergrad students take 4 classes, and science majors typically take 3 science courses. This may be a good time for you to start volunteering as well...

So, while at some point you need to demonstrate you can handle a rigorous courseload, it's perfectly fine to start slow and ease into it, then build up in future semesters.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it is safest to start out taking 2 classes (with labs) your first semester. Depending on how that goes, you can adjust for subsequent semesters. Don't forget, your schedule shouldn't just be school+work. You need to make sure you have time in your schedule for any ECs you are interested in.

Here's my experience.
I worked as a waiter 24-28 hours a week and did research while being a full time student at the same time.. I wasn't a premed in college so I didnt do any other ECs but I know I would have had no time to study for the MCAT or work on any other ECs in college.