how many hours a day will you study for step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dangit

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for people who plan to start studying for Step 1 starting in Jan or so (or if you've already started), while studying school material.

How many hours a day do you dedicate to studying for Step 1? How do you juggle class material and board material? I've read people starting early, but i would like to know what their plan (i'm the type that needs a lot of time and i don't like to cram if i can help it)...

I was thinking about spending maybe 4 hrs a day and using the Taus method. from what i've read, the taus method is very thorough, but it can take a long time. hence, i want to start early. what do you guys think? too much, too little?

Members don't see this ad.

I personally do not devote fixed hours of study...I study as long as I want to but do it regularly.When I study I concentrate fully on it.I also give time to playing as it helps me to concentrate on my studies better.:thumbup::)

i want to combine what we do in class with board studying. starting january i would like to spend 1-2 hours every other day or so doing board stuff, either gunner training, UWorld, or reading first aid or RR path or BRS physio. Actually, someone on SDN recommended "Cram Fighter" and i decided to get it. def worth the $9.99 for having it organize everything! you put in how many horus you want to study, what books and question resources to use and how much time you have and they figure it all out :)

i want to combine what we do in class with board studying. starting january i would like to spend 1-2 hours every other day or so doing board stuff, either gunner training, UWorld, or reading first aid or RR path or BRS physio. Actually, someone on SDN recommended "Cram Fighter" and i decided to get it. def worth the $9.99 for having it organize everything! you put in how many horus you want to study, what books and question resources to use and how much time you have and they figure it all out :)

I'm still trying to take a few days to post semester chill (aka finish playing Fall Out New Vegas) before I start planning my Step One scheldule. But I think it will be a lot like the above. I plan on following a modified Taus scheldule with my own tweeks thrown in. I've been doing gunner training since June and it's been really helpful for classes and seems to be helping me retain info a lot better so I'll be continuing that for sure.

Also, I've never heard of "Cram Fighter" I'll definitely be checking that out as I've been wondering how to best organize all the books etc I need to get through. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I will most likely try to work like 25-30 questions on USMLEW a day and read some so maybe 1.5 hours- but some of it will be coupled with just studying for all the path/pharm that my curriculum has next semester.

Hey AR,

I like your plan. I'm gonna look into gunner training more seriously. when i first heard of it, i didn't think much of it, but i'm starting to realize a lot of the stuff i worked to so hard to learn seems to be forgotten already. i was actually looking into flash facts by usmlerx. does anyone know how Flash Facts compares to Gunner Training?

I'm still trying to take a few days to post semester chill (aka finish playing Fall Out New Vegas) before I start planning my Step One scheldule. But I think it will be a lot like the above. I plan on following a modified Taus scheldule with my own tweeks thrown in. I've been doing gunner training since June and it's been really helpful for classes and seems to be helping me retain info a lot better so I'll be continuing that for sure.

Also, I've never heard of "Cram Fighter" I'll definitely be checking that out as I've been wondering how to best organize all the books etc I need to get through. :thumbup:

:)

Last edited:
Sorry for sounding stupid...but what is Gunner Training? I have never heard of it...can you please describe it in detail...thanks!

Actually, someone on SDN recommended "Cram Fighter" and i decided to get it. def worth the $9.99 for having it organize everything! you put in how many horus you want to study, what books and question resources to use and how much time you have and they figure it all out :)

Just want to throw out another rec for the "Cram Fighter" app. It's pretty amazing! It cut down on the time I would have had to spend scheduling my step 1 review, and I know for sure what I need to get done everyday to get through all my review books on time. Thanks for mentioning it on here ar! :thumbup: :thumbup:

The gunner training website doesn't really do a good job at explaining what it is. It seems like they have a review and also questions. But how long is the review, how complete is it?

I started in september, not really doing anything other than the current organ system and a little biochem/micro (two things I've forgotten the most). I think it's really helpful, if you learn by repetition and through questions (and who doesn't?)

The review is total...it's basically FA, organized slightly better (IMO) and goes into slightly more depth in some areas then it has questions on top of that. I wouldn't replace FA with it, but if you have about an hour a day, and promise to add new material gradually, I think it's worth it. I wouldn't use it with just 3-4 months left. 6 may be pushing it, I don't really know...also it doesn't replace a qbank, I'm going to start Kaplan (if they ever get back to me w/ their claim of referencing FA). Hope that helps.

i believe under exam simulation there is a qbank in GT as well with questions that are different than the review questions

I started in september, not really doing anything other than the current organ system and a little biochem/micro (two things I've forgotten the most). I think it's really helpful, if you learn by repetition and through questions (and who doesn't?)

The review is total...it's basically FA, organized slightly better (IMO) and goes into slightly more depth in some areas then it has questions on top of that. I wouldn't replace FA with it, but if you have about an hour a day, and promise to add new material gradually, I think it's worth it. I wouldn't use it with just 3-4 months left. 6 may be pushing it, I don't really know...also it doesn't replace a qbank, I'm going to start Kaplan (if they ever get back to me w/ their claim of referencing FA). Hope that helps.

What was the question you asked with regard to them referencing FA? I have been using Kaplan Qbank for the past couple months and actually like it alot. With regards to referencing FA, in the explanation for each question there is a Tab called "ReKaps & References" (or something like that) that tells you the relevant pages in FA 2008, 2009 and 2010, as well as the relevant pages in MedEssentials (they even give you a snapshot of the page in Medessentials so wouldn't need to get this book). They also gives you one or two bullet points of the key takeaway points for each question, and sometimes it's almost verbatim from FA. So far it's helped me cover a lot of FA. Check out their website to see if they may give you a free trial so you could see if you like it.