How many hours are you working on service rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DogSnoot

Reaction score
- How many hours are you working during your podiatry rotation as a 1st year, 2nd year and 3rd year?

- What are your primary duties each year ?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't keep track. Goal now is to just get everything done and be well prepared for next day/next week so you can go home and take proper care of your family on top of everything.

First year goal was to get your *&^# done and get some rest before pager went off.
Off service rotations- they dictate your schedule. Some were great learning and hours wise, some sucked in both aspects.
If you're at a good program, you are learning a ton on top of everything while you're getting stuff done.

Second year- less scut work, more elective surgeries etc, helping/teaching the 1st years and making sure they are prepared.

3rd year feels like more work. Putting out fires, optomizing whatever duties you're in charge of such as clinic/surgery schedules/labs and education, prepping for boards, job searching, finishing up research. Its a lot going on at once but you should have grown into the workload by now.

Edit: Mileage varies pending program quality. There were some programs where people were fishing by midday in the middle of the work week and had never been called in for anything greater than a toe wound 3 months in. If that's what you want great, but don't be surprised when everyone judges us as a whole based on the weakest link and limits well trained podiatrists/DPMs for that sole reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
As much as I could.
First year I didn't have much say
Second year- A lot of early morning surgery with a lot of clinic- my 3rd years didn't seem to be involved so I got a lot of good my 2nd year
Third year- Same as second, lots of early morning surgery with clinic but with some "oh crap" mixed in cause I realized I would be out on my own soon and it would all be on me.

Reactions: 1 user