How many hours to expect in school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Junglebunny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non traditional student and will be 40 by the time I enter med school and I have a family. I am desperately trying to get an idea of how many study hours are necessary on average during the week for D.O. school. :cool: Can someone please give me a clue how many hours may be necessary?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a non traditional student and will be 40 by the time I enter med school and I have a family. I am desperately trying to get an idea of how many study hours are necessary on average during the week for D.O. school. :cool: Can someone please give me a clue how many hours may be necessary?
It's totally individual-dependent and subject-dependent. No one (including you) can predict yet how much time you will need to study in med school. Also, study habits that worked for you in college may not be effective for med school. At the beginning, expect to put in a lot of time while you go through the trial-and-error process of figuring out how to pass your classes. Over time, you should become more efficient and able to cover the same amount of material in less time.

Just had our first test. I woke up at 530, worked out till 6:30, started studying at 7-7:30. Studied until 5, played with my kids, spent time with family till about 8-9, studied a few more hours before bed at 11-12. Upperclassmen that I have talked to have said that it is about typical.

My routine is this. I have an egg timer. I set it for 25 minutes (I study with no interruptions, if I have to pee, I stop the timer). Then I take a five minute break (check email, facebook, hulu, etc). Then five minutes again (basically 10 minutes for every hour of study). It keeps me focused and keeps me from wasting too much time. playing. oops 5 minutes are up. Later.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be 31, almost 32 when I start and 39 or 40 by the time I finish a 4-5 year residency. I have 4 ninos, who will be 6, 4, and 3 when I matriculate.

Don't sweat the age-thing. Look at this way: in 10 years, you'll be 10 years older. Might as well be 10 years older and a doctor.

I have no idea, nor any answers for you in regards to your question. I probably shouldn't have posted anything.

I just started at a DO school. I get to school at 730 and have class until 4 almost every day. I come home, heat up something for dinner (I precook all meals on the weekend to save time), then I start studying around 630. I study until atleast 1130 and 1 night this week I studied until 1230.

I think I could literally stay up all night and study and not have gotten everything down.

With that said, once anatomy is over in November I hear things get a lot better as you won't be in lab for several hours per day so that frees up a good amount of time.

I went to DO school at 32 with 2 kids, just finished residency at 40 - feels great.

The amount of hours depends on the school you go to. I went to LECOM-Erie which has 3 tracks: Lecture, Independent study, Problem Based learning. I was in lecture which is in class for 40 hours/week and attendence is required (they take attendence) I just treated it like a full time job. You are paying to be there, so be there. Anyhow, I studied 4 hours a night with my group M-Th and 12-14 hours on Sun since every test is monday am covering the material from the previous week. The first semester with anatomy is hell since you have to be in the lab to study all the structures for the practical plus the bookwork in addition to the other courses. So add another 10 hours a week for that during that time. For us OMM exams were every fourth week with the practical so you have to practice you techniques with that as well - not too hard if you pay attention during lab. We all get through it, my husband took care of the kids during the week and I cooked on Fri, Sat to give him a break. You all will be fine.:love:

In general, most students put in the number of hours that it takes to get the work done. For some students, this may be 8 to 10 hours and for others, this may be 2 to 8 hours. In short, how quickly can you master a large volume of material well enough to do well on your tests.

Just because you are hoping to attend an osteopathic medical school, does not mean that you will be studying any less than if you attended an allopathic medical school. If you school has a problem-based-learning (PBL) curriculum, don't let the number of hours that you spend in class lead you into thinking that you won't be doing a significant amount of study and preparation.

If you have a family, you may want to start preparing them for the fact that while you might be at home studying, that doesn't mean that you are there to interact and "hang" with them. If you can't get your work mastered at home, then you are going to need to study at school/library. Also, you may need some group study work for projects and other things that must be done outside of class.

Most people with families strike a balance between preparation for class and study along with doing a few things for the family. Medicine is quite demanding even under the best of circumstances and you will miss many family gatherings/outings/birthdays and other things because of the job. If you can't live with this, then another career might be better for you or wait until your children are older (after about age 9, they don't want as much of your attention).

it's all up to you, some people study faster/slower, take time off, cram....etc. I was putting in avg 12 hr days outside of class. i am at a DO school with minimal class time (PBL). it's great for families b/c you figure out when you want to do study, walk your dog, beach, family....etc. it's very self motivated and a ton of book time. I've noticed i am not as productive in the day but between 5pm-1am I was flying in the texts so the flexibility of this program worked well for me. in the mentor forum, PBL, we've posted a great description of the programs if your interested

Last edited:
it's all up to you, some people study faster/slower, ...

Agree with the second phrase, disagree with the first. (FWIW, I'm assuming DO is same as allo, but have no first hand knowledge). It is NOT up to you. It is up to your abilities. As others have said in this thread, there will always be some people able to get through one pass of the material and know it cold, and as a result they have plenty of free time. But this doesn't hold true for the rest of med students, who are going to find their time to be a premium and that it's a totally different world than college. The vast vast majority are going to have to do multiple repeats of the material before each exam. And the volume is large. So we are talking a LOT of material and multiple passes through it. For most people, the class time plus study time during the first two years of med school ends of equivalent to a very long houred, full time job. Basically the equivalent to if you went off to work at a big law firm or wall street firm. Meaning you get up early, go to class. Then work hard after class. If you use your time well, on non-exam weeks, you end up able to have a few hours for a nice dinner with the family, some work out time, and an hour or two in the non-exam evenings to do family stuff. Maybe a bit of time on the weekend, but certainly not every weekend. And if you aren't getting it, you need to be flexible in how you study, and how much. This has to be a big, high priority, commitment for you and one understood by your family, or it doesn't work. You can't dabble in med school. You may find yourself working at full tilt and not have time for much else at times. There may also be times when things aren't as bad. It's a roller coaster.

And then third year, all bets are off. There will be times during the harder rotations (IM, surgery, OB) when you are staying over at the hospital every 3rd or 4th night. There will be many rotations where the week continues straight through the weekend without any break (most places give you 4 days off a month, which may be divided up amongst weekend days as one working weekend, two split weekends, and one "golden" weekend). You get used to it, but your family needs to be prepared for it. There will also be months (eg Family med, ED, psych, outpatient medicine, maybe peds) when your hours are very normal and manageable. For most, third year is the hardest year of med school, timing wise. The first year when your hours are not your own, and you have to adjust everything else in your life to fit around it, accordingly. A taste of what's to come in internship, when your hours really will not be schedulable, and in many months, will by trying on your non-work relationships.

Fourth year of med school is much easier -- you will generally have to do a month or two of Sub-internship where you function like an intern, which are hard, and maybe will take a few heavy electives and audition rotations that will help you decide on your future path, but other than that, you take a lot of easy, fun electives, and focus your main efforts on lining up that post- med school residency. Which involves a lot of traveling and interviewing and has a lot of stress of its own.

I'd say the first two and fourth year of med school will not be any more difficult on having a family than any professional job would. But third year will be more difficult, and internship even more still. As njbmd suggests, your family needs to be on board with what you are trying to accomplish, because having everybody pulling in different directions is a recipe for disaster.

As others have said in this thread, there will always be some people able to get through one pass of the material and know it cold, and as a result they have plenty of free time. But this doesn't hold true for the rest of med students, who are going to find their time to be a premium and that it's a totally different world than college. The vast vast majority are going to have to do multiple repeats of the material before each exam. And the volume is large. So we are talking a LOT of material and multiple passes through it. b lah blah blah

OP, be careful with this advice. You actually CAN dabble in medical school, especially if you're at a pass/fail school, and that can be your downfall. The harsh words that posters like Law2Doc and njbmd like to speak can, ironically, lull you into a false sense of security. I heard things like that as a pre-med, and thought, "oh, based on what these people are saying, it will be IMPOSSIBLE not to be motivated in medical school. I won't even be able to survive on a week-to-week basis unless I'm studying all the time." But the fact is, for the first 2 years, you CAN slack off and survive week-to-week, just barely passing. It's just that you will be royally screwed at the end of 2nd year. If you haven't really mastered the material and committed this vast encyclopedic body of knowledge fully to memory so that you can recite it at the drop of a hat, you'll be totally unprepared for Step 1 and 3rd year.

Just one more reason why I recommend that no one go to medical school unless he is genuinely passionate about the subject matter. You will just not be motivated enough otherwise.