How many hours worked per week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DocStrangelove

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
About how many hours per week does a family medicine doc work? I'm not talking about residency. I've heard some people say they don't work that much, some only 4 days a week. I've heard others say they work almost 60 hours per week. How many days a week are you typically on call overnight?
 
That's the beauty of family medicine: it depends on the kind of practice you want to go into. I'll give you an example: a friend works as an ER director under the FP umbrella. He works for a major university system hospital and works three 12-hour shifts. He takes four-day weekends and has a nice salary plan with the university: lot of perks and benefits. He just got a hefty 30K raise and loves his life. From what I can see, it's a pretty sweet deal.
 
Dr. SL,

Check this link out...it shows that FPs average ~50hours/week.

http://medicine.wustl.edu/~residenc/outside/spec/FP_info.html

Also, I read somewhere that many new FPs (even in rural areas) are having it written into their contract that they have call no more than once every 4-5 days. Try and find some of the websites that post FP jobs and see what they are advertising as call schedules.

Willamette