How many Letters should I send?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rainman6304

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its a lil late to apply to medical school this year but i'm asking this question for next year. How many letters should I have sent out? Some schools have their limits (like 2 or 3) but other schools have like 7. Again how many should I send out without eventually embarrassing myself?

Members don't see this ad.

Its a lil late to apply to medical school this year but i'm asking this question for next year. How many letters should I have sent out? Some schools have their limits (like 2 or 3) but other schools have like 7. Again how many should I send out without eventually embarrassing myself?

Are you talking about letters of recommendation? If you have a prehealth committee on your campus, send all your recommendations to them and they'll take care of it.

While having a pre-health committee is nice, I didnt have one. Not sure if you do or not OP, but I wouldnt send more than necessary. I would say three or four at most. Any more than that and you run a risk of having a lack luster letter in your file and casting doubt on your app even if the rest of bullet proof. It would be much better to have three or four letters of great sustinence than 7 that are kinda flaky. I would also recommend using virtual eval or interfolio, and get your letter writers to write and send them in early. That way when you hear from a school you can pop those letters out to them quickly from interfolio or whatever you decide to use.

I had a bitch of a time getting all my letters in and one of my letter writers just didnt write my letter after I had been waiting on it for almost two months. She still hasnt. Lesson? Stay on letter writers to make sure they get their stuff done. But its ok, cause I got into my number one choice thankfully without her. :)