How many LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drLexus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!
Whats the ideal # of letters of recommendation that you guys recommend? I know one comes from the program director / medicine dept chair, but this letter is often very generic unless you've actually worked with the guy.

I plan on obtaining two solid letters from cardiologists that I've worked with and know very well.

Should I get a 4th letter? It will either be from a cardiologist who I know less personally, or from my outpatient clinic preceptor, who knows me well but is not a cardiologist.

What do you guys think? Should I go for the 4th letter or just leave it at 3 ? What is the ideal # of letters?

Members don't see this ad.

I got four letters (one was my PD, three were cardiologists) and submitted them to all the programs. Got plenty of invites. You'll be fine.

I was told to get all cards letters but I'm sure others have had non cardiology faculty write letters for them. Keep in mind that you want to remember your audience - hence having a cards letter probably holds more weight with another cardiologist.