How many mcat attempts are too many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschl hpeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Waiting for my score and may have to re-take, as this is my bleep bleep attempt. It was so hard. The last one I took, when I left out I thought I rocked it. but it wasn't so. If it did not go well this time. I don't know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think anyone is going to be able to provide good advice unless you share your stats - cGPA, sGPA and all MCAT scores thus far.

The usual answer is no more than 3 attempts. I have seen a few folks that have taken it 4 times. And, that person jumped 6 points on the last attempt and got a 34.

So, it is possible to do much better but it is a rare few.

First, you have to figure out what is going wrong.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. More than 3 attempts generally means you don't know what went wrong, aren't addressing what went wrong, aren't preparing efficiently, can't master the material and can't improve your score a reasonable amount.

But you should look at it on an individual basis.

In general, taking the MCAT more than two times is going to be problematic no matter what score you obtain. In today's world, one retake can be explained in terms of illness. Two retakes strongly indicate that you have serious problem-solving deficits that you have not corrected. Even worse is to go down on any retake.

You are going to hear stories about 4 and 5 retakes with successful admission but in these times of grade inflation, test prep courses and other resourses, more than one retake is going to be problematic. What went is the past is not necessarily a prediction of the future since there are so many applicants out there who don't have multiple retakes.

Still, apply with what you have but if you are sitting there with three or four retakes in the past three years, you have not done yourself any favors unless you are applying to a school that takes the highest score from your multiples.

Part of the issue with MCAT retakes is that students take an April or May test, submit applications without knowing their MCAT score, now feel pressured to either change summer plans or squeeze in MCAT studying to take an August exam. So again you don't know the score and you are late in the cycle. And now you have taken it twice. Third time is really the useful limit

I am a very big believer in not applying until you have your MCAT score and therefore a big believer in taking MCATs early. Additionally, I am not a big believer in late August MCATs as retakes as your chances are reduced simply because of the rolling admissions process.

The question I always ask students is your goal to get into medical school or to get into medical school quickly?

If you do poorly an an MCAT you need to find out why, prep again, take it again only when ready and then only reapply when you know the score.

although some places like Tufts affiliated hospitals in Boston have all their DOs go to Springfield, MA vs Boston, MA. you can check that. even if applying allo they send them west

The best advice I have heard is that unless you are planning on raising your score by 5 points don't bother retaking it. Strenghten your application in other ways, or better yet... Take the MCAT again in 3 years and make absolutely sure that you want to be a physician.

The best advice I have heard is that unless you are planning on raising your score by 5 points don't bother retaking it. Strenghten your application in other ways, or better yet... Take the MCAT again in 3 years and make absolutely sure that you want to be a physician.

:shifty: