How many medicine prelim interviews is enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcribbits

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

My Neuro interviewing season has been going great, however one thing that I can't help thinking about is the number of medicine prelim interviews I have. I ended up having 6 medicine prelim interviews that went great but I know how competitive the prelim market has gotten. One of the programs I want to rank very highly is advanced and I would hate to match advanced and not have a prelim year lined up after the match.

Any prior Neuro applicants willing to share how their experience with where they matched on their prelim rank list?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Didn't get any. I had to SOAP for a prelim spot, and it was terrifying. The risks for ranking an advanced only program is very real.

Reactions: 1 user
Damn. I’m sitting on 3 as of now and this is really making me put things in perspective

I can tell you for my classmates going into Rad Onc - she was brilliant and got over 10 Radiation oncology interviews, but only 7 prelim interviews (including 1 "gimme" one at our home institution). She matched no. 2 for Rad Onc, but dead last rank #7 for prelim.

Prelim IM is extremely competitive since you are competition involve applicants from other much more competitive specialties.

This is why I went ONLY categorical for my residency application.