How many months ahead should I study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigboi6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am taking the MCAT for the 2nd time in January and re-doing the Kaplan course. Debating 2 options as I am starting my MS program in September (lab research + 1 class + TA 1 class).
1) Do the course and study basically all material over the remainder of summer, and do 1-2 practice tests/week during the Fall quarter, review Winter break and take it Jan. Only worry is that I will forget some of the material as test date is 3+ months away from studying material.

2) Review material on my own over remainder of summer, take Kaplan course during Fall quarter (not ideal but probably a 1-2 day/week course), take practice tests throughout Fall quarter and a lot during winter break. Only worry that I might get overloaded during the school year.

Looking to get suggestions from anyone who has been in my shoes or taken the MCAT on what would be the most effective approach.
Appreciate the advice!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I am taking the MCAT for the 2nd time in January and re-doing the Kaplan course. Debating 2 options as I am starting my MS program in September (lab research + 1 class + TA 1 class).
1) Do the course and study basically all material over the remainder of summer, and do 1-2 practice tests/week during the Fall quarter, review Winter break and take it Jan. Only worry is that I will forget some of the material as test date is 3+ months away from studying material.

2) Review material on my own over remainder of summer, take Kaplan course during Fall quarter (not ideal but probably a 1-2 day/week course), take practice tests throughout Fall quarter and a lot during winter break. Only worry that I might get overloaded during the school year.

Looking to get suggestions from anyone who has been in my shoes or taken the MCAT on what would be the most effective approach.
Appreciate the advice!!

Have you recently took the MCAT? Is the information still fresh in your mind? Also, have you taken AAMC exams before or you are planning to take them as a first time? More info would be better to give my opinion. However, I think that if the content review is still fresh in your mind, then there is no need to keep reviewing. Practice is more important and you actually do a content review by doing practice and carefully viewing your right and wrong answers. Have you considered TBR passages for the sciences? They are excellent (even though they are challenging).

P.S why would you retake a kaplan course if it did not help you the first time? Do you think it is helpful? I'm sorry but I think their books from the course are useless and they tend to go out of the topic a lot.

Have you recently took the MCAT? Is the information still fresh in your mind? Also, have you taken AAMC exams before or you are planning to take them as a first time? More info would be better to give my opinion. However, I think that if the content review is still fresh in your mind, then there is no need to keep reviewing. Practice is more important and you actually do a content review by doing practice and carefully viewing your right and wrong answers. Have you considered TBR passages for the sciences? They are excellent (even though they are challenging).

P.S why would you retake a kaplan course if it did not help you the first time? Do you think it is helpful? I'm sorry but I think their books from the course are useless and they tend to go out of the topic a lot.

I took the first MCAT last Jan and just graduated so info is still pretty fresh. I used most of the aamc tests and FL 1-5 kaplan tests. Taking the kaplan course again because you have to re-enroll to get access to the practice exams in the account and its free. I feel it is helpful with mostly content, but I want to fucus more on practice test this time around.
Will look at TBR passages, was planning on getting a couple books from EK for some more passages to practice with throughout the quarter.