How many Neuro mos allowed in internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckley

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any one have an idea how many months are allowed for Neurology rotations in the 1st year? I remember 1 month, but I was surprised when a PD in a prelim program offered me 3 mos. Won't I be ineligible for the boards or something if I take that? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ABPN Requirements for Board Eligibility:
"Neurology residency is 48 months, the first 12 months of which must include a broad clinical experience in general internal medicine. This year must include at least one of the following:

8 months in internal medicine with primary responsibility in patient care or
6 months in internal medicine with primary responsibility in patient care and a period of at least 2 months total time in pediatrics or emergency medicine or both.
Residents must spend no more than 2 months in neurology during this year.

A full year of ACGME-accredited training in internal medicine, or as an acceptable alternative, a full year in an ACGME-accredited program in which a minimum of six months of training must be in internal medicine, the details
of which must be documented by the training director. The composition of these six months may NOT include rotations in neurology, family medicine, or emergency medicine. To ensure that these six months constitute a highquality experience, they should emphasize progressive responsibility for the resident. At least two of the additional six months must be spent in internal medicine, pediatrics, and/or emergency medicine. For candidates entering neurology residency training on or after July 1, 2001, at least two of the additional six months must be spent in internal medicine, pediatrics, family medicine, and/or emergency medicine. No more than two of the remaining four months may be spent in neurology.
AND
Three full years of postgraduate, specialized residency training in a neurology program accredited by the ACGME."

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::)

thank you! thank you! that is uber clear! i'll get back to the PD.
could you post the link please? is that where i can also look for board passing rates?

thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Of note, UCSF has taken advantage of the 8 mos of medicine rule to now have its prelim interns who are at UCSF (at least 6 guaranteed spots) to do 2-3 mos of neurology (maybe their required month of psych thrown in there too) during their intern year to free up time later in their residency for electives/research.

PD told me that arrangement too. Their prelim offers 2 mos of elective, so can I take those two months and spend them in neurology? Plus do 1 month of neurology?

At UCSF, starting this year, the R1 class finishes up their medicine ward time in February. March is an "education" month, with a lot of teaching and without concrete patient care responsibilities. Then, 2 of the remaining 3 months are neurology (minus a week of vacation) and the 3rd month is psychiatry.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::)

thank you! thank you! that is uber clear! i'll get back to the PD.
could you post the link please? is that where i can also look for board passing rates?

thanks again!

Here is the link:
http://www.abpn.com/ifas.htm

Click on:
"2008 IFA for Certification in Neurology/ Neurology with Special Qualification in Child Neurology for residents who entered training PGY-2 for neurology, PGY-3 for child neurology ON or AFTER 07/01/05"

See pg 9.

Sorry it took me so long to reply :oops:

No prob! Thanks for the inputs everyone :)