How many of MS TA at the undergrad affiliated school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EndlessEntropy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
if applicable? Is this a fairly common or slightly uncommon thing or do you just really not have time to TA an undergrad course in most cases?

Members don't see this ad.

I mean it can be done if you're passionate about that kind of stuff. Have you thought about peer tutoring at your medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep agree with the above.

After lectures, PBL sessions, clinicals, research, electives, student org meetings, and of course studying...there just isn't enough time.

Depends on your school/opportunities/ability to juggle/time commitment of TAship.

I know a fair amount of medical students that have TA'ed undergrad classes at my school. It's also incredibly lucrative (i.e. it basically will cover most of tuition and pay you a healthy living stipend). This is almost certainly not during third year. But, a lot of second year students and fourth year students do.

I've tended to avoid TAing undergrad classes because they're actually a lot of work (grading, review sessions, etc.)...upwards of 15-20 hrs/week. I've TA'ed 2 medical school courses, and they're nice because everyone generally understands that you aren't going to be devoting that sort of time to it, and while the "advertised" commitments are usually 10 hours, most only required 5-7 hrs or less per week. Which, to be honest, I think is doable as a second or fourth year student if you're looking to make some $$$. Plus, they also give you some teaching credentials that might look impressive to residency directors.