How many programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adam638

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering how many programs I should be applying to in order to match? I really don't want to overdue it. I'm really hoping to stay in the Midwest (MN,WI,IA,IL,MI). Recently decided to go into ER after originally planning on anesthesia, so I'm not too familiar with things. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance:)

Midwest school
Step 1 - 235
Step 2 - July 2011
Year 2 - Mainly honors
Year 3 - 98% NBME Surgery Shelf, 75% IM Shelf
Worked in an ER as a lab tech during undergrad
Some research, no publications

Members don't see this ad.

Did you read the section of the FAQ entitled "How competitive am I?"

Or read any of my surveys?

Or read "Charting Outcomes in the Match?"

Wondering how many programs I should be applying to in order to match? I really don't want to overdue it. I'm really hoping to stay in the Midwest (MN,WI,IA,IL,MI). Recently decided to go into ER after originally planning on anesthesia, so I'm not too familiar with things. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance:)

Midwest school
Step 1 - 235
Step 2 - July 2011
Year 2 - Mainly honors
Year 3 - 98% NBME Surgery Shelf, 75% IM Shelf
Worked in an ER as a lab tech during undergrad
Some research, no publications

Good Step 1, the value of "Mainly Honors" depends on the distribution of grades at your school and the weight of your school, your shelf scores have nearly no impact, maybe your lab tech job will give you some "dedication" credibility? At least half of medical students have "some research" and no publications.

You're above average, but not by too much I would think. I would apply early to 20-25 programs being sure to spread the love but do plenty of regionals, and definitely interview at 12 of them if invited.

And don't call it "ER" to anybody's face.

That's my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on location and competitiveness of program. Generally 14-16 apps, 9-10 interviews with these numbers

I'd say its hard to tell until you see your Step 2 score and your grades [not shelf score] for 3rd year clerkships. Those things and strong letters helped me stand out the most, or so I was told.