How many residencies is too many to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BPharmtastic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I may not be the strongest applicant. 2.8 GPA, no super big leadership position, just one small position. No research. No publications at the moment, I have something that is set to be published at some point according to my preceptor for that rotation, but she didn't give me any time frame.
I know that sounds next to impossible, but I've had many people tell me it is not impossible.

So originally I had a list of 10 potential programs, then my list grew to 15, then it grew to 21.
I'm really wondering how many is too many?
I recognize there is the crazy chance of interviewing at them all, but there is also the chance I send out 30 applications and every one of them dismisses me and I get 0 interviews.
So, what is everyone's input on how many is too many? or what is a good #?

Members don't see this ad.

So my only worry with 21 programs is the LOI's. I knew a guy who was a year ahead of me who applied to 22 programs and didn't get an interview at a single one. He didn't have time (or was too lazy) to review his LOI's so a lot of them had typos, multiple programs that they were addressed to, etc. He essentially copy and pasted stuff.

I applied to 11 this year but I was kind of forced to start early and had my list narrowed because of the PGY-2 specialty I'm interested in. I think if you have the money and the time and you feel it's best for you do it. You can turn down interviews if necessary and work from there. Most of the residents I've spoken to said after 7 though they were exhausted, so I can't imagine going to something like 15 during February :confused:

I know a guy in my class who applied to 15. Matched to number 15.

I’d honestly be worried about the quality of the LOIs at that point. I applied to 6, and quite frankly I half a**ed two of them. Surprise surprise, they didn’t interview me lol

I can see where the LOIs can be difficult. It takes a few hours to plan, do the research, write them, revise them, and upload them. Due to finances (the person I'm borrowing money from wasn't really willing to spend $841 on applications), I've decided to apply to 15. We will see how many/if I get interviews and if I match. I believe I have what it takes to succeed in a residency. I just have to convince the programs of that...

Reactions: 1 user