How many schools did you apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jarteblu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I look around pre-allo and some say 10 while others say 32. Since you guys have been accepted and know the jist, how many did you apply to in the cycle in which you were accepted?

I don't want to ask on the pre-allo because many havent been accepted and I'm curious to know the number from those who ere accepted for a general range. THanks

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to 30 this cycle, though I got 3 interviews last cycle applying to 20.

(yes, I was a pretty bad interviewer lmao)

Pre-Allo is a fine place for this.

I applied to 22ish if I recall correctly and applied MD and DO. It depends on your stats mainly. If you have a 4.0, whatever the top 5% MCAT is with the new scoring and want to stay in your hometown then apply to 5. If you are borderline then apply to 20-25. The only justification I can think of for applying to >25 is just really not knowing where you want to end up. If 25 well chosen schools reject an applicant 50 will also.

One bit of advice I just thought of is unless you are from California if you don't get into at least one of your state schools you probably won't get in elsewhere. If you prefer to stay in state and have a few options there then you can probably narrow it down a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to as many that you can afford if you're a middle of the road candidate.

Reactions: 1 users
Even if your target is med students, this should be in pre-allo as it relates to pre-medical school topics and is being posted by someone who isn't in medical school yet though. Don't worry - plenty of med students, residents, and attendings frequent pre-allo so you will get many responses.

Moving to pre-allo

Reactions: 1 user
That's surprising tbh. Did you guys apply to so many because you wanted a wide range of options or because you had average gpa and an under average mcat and thought "if I apply to 25, I'm sure I'll get into 1 school....right? *gulp*"

11 MDs, 3 DOs, although I didn't complete the DO secondaries.

Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum so sorry if this has been answered before but is NY a good state to live in, in terms of applying to state schools.
Thanks!

That's surprising tbh. Did you guys apply to so many because you wanted a wide range of options or because you had average gpa and an under average mcat and thought "if I apply to 25, I'm sure I'll get into 1 school....right? *gulp*"

I personally applied to the number that I did because I took the "shotgun the top 20" approach. I applied to 2 state schools, 6 schools that were under my stats, and then 16 of the top 20.

I personally applied to the number that I did because I took the "shotgun the top 20" approach. I applied to 2 state schools, 6 schools that were under my stats, and then 16 of the top 20.
And the results??!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Six. There was a small geographic region I wanted to stay within, and I had a solid backup plan in place.

34 MD, 4 DO. Very very average stats with <70 LizzyM so I applied very broadly. Sitting on one acceptance already!

13 MD with average MCAT but amazing GPA. Im a non traditional applicant

4th year med student here. When I applied, the conventional wisdom was 3 apps per interview, and then 3 interviews per acceptance.

Applied 20, interviewed 7, accepted 2. Sounds about right.

At half the schools I applied to I had a solid connection, the other half I applied to at random. Got acceptances at the random schools, lol.

I applied to one. I wasn't too keen on spending money on extra applications and stuff. I did well enough in undergrad to be confident in where I stood with my top choice school.

I applied to 10 well matched schools for this cycle. I did not waste money on places that I or my partner would not live in for the next few years, and I'd be very happy to attend any of the ten. So far, I've attended 7 interviews so I am ecstatic with how this cycle has gone. None of my schools have released decisions yet.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I applied to 10 well matched schools for this cycle. I did not waste money on places that I or my partner would not live in for the next few years, and I'd be very happy to attend any of the ten. So far, I've attended 7 interviews so I am ecstatic with how this cycle has gone. None of my schools have released decisions yet.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congrats on what's shaping up to be a very successful cycle :)

I applied to 20, and it was too many. Most of the schools that I added late on my list, if I interviewed there, felt wrong, and some clearly just weren't good fits ahead of time (note, most of these places didn't send interview invites to me.) But this perspective may result from that fact that I've been remarkably blessed so far this cycle.

I applied to 12 schools total (that was the limit of what I could afford). I've had 4 II, 3 interviews completed with another scheduled soon, 2 acceptances, 1 waitlist post-interview, 1 rejection pre-interview. I'm happy with how this cycle has gone for me, although if I had to do it again I probably wouldn't have wasted apps on a couple reaches. I will note that my pre-med advisor strongly felt that I should be applying to more places than I ultimately did.

I look around pre-allo and some say 10 while others say 32. Since you guys have been accepted and know the jist, how many did you apply to in the cycle in which you were accepted?

I don't want to ask on the pre-allo because many havent been accepted and I'm curious to know the number from those who ere accepted for a general range. THanks
Too many...

9 MD schools (4 reach), 2 II, 2R and 1 acceptance so far

I applied to 11 MD schools this cycle. 1 rejection, 2 II's, and 1 acceptance so far