how many schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vinganca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many OT programs did you apply to? How many would you recommend applying to?

There are really only two schools that I'd want to go to; would it be a mistake not to apply to more?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it really depends on your GPA/achievements. If you have a 3.9 and can list plenty of achievements then you'll get into the school you want and there's no need to apply to any others. If you have a 3.0 then you'll need to apply to many schools. If you're under a 3.0 then you'll have to work hard to find a reputable school that will accept under a 3.0.

Example: I have a 3.6 overall and a 3.2 science. I have minor achievements - nothing impressive, but at least a few little awards and positions to list (example: senator my senior year of HS, secretary of a club my soph year, etc) - and a moderate background in volunteer work (a few mission trips, put on a party at a hospital, help out at my church, etc). And, I finished the 40 shadowing hour requirement BEFORE my interview so I was able to hand in my hours before they looked at my file.
So, all in all, I'm not some amazing 4.0 who saves orphans and has a published scientific article, but I have accomplished enough to look good on paper. I applied to ONE school and got in.

I don't know if that helps... but, I say, if you have a good GPA and can list a few achievements then applying to two schools is absolutely fine as long as you're sure you meet ALL their requirements. Then, before your interview make sure you get some volunteer/shadowing hours in to prove that you are an achiever and work hard for what you want. You want to show that you are professional and take initiative -- initiative seems to help make up for other areas where you might be lacking.

Ohh you know what -- I didn't take into consideration that you might be going for the OTD.... I can only speak for the MOT.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. And you're right, I'm going for the MOT. I've got a 3.8 overall GPA; 4.0 prereq GPA, 1300 GRE. I definitely haven't got loads of achievements though; the only related thing is that I volunteer at an arts therapy center for children with disabilities.

As for observation hours I've got 30 hours inpatient hospital, and another 30 at the same hospital on the outpatient side. And I just started doing hours at a pediatric outpatient clinic, because I'm interested in working pediatrics as an OT. By the time I apply, I'll have ~100 hours combined...would you suggest getting more hours? Or shadowing in another facility in addition, like an SNF?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd accept you! haha

Which schools are you applying for? You have PLENTY of shadowing. I know some schools do require 100, so either way you're well on your way. Volunteering at an arts therapy center is going to look REALLY good to them. Any volunteer work is great, but this is even in the right area. From what I've gathered, most (if not all) OT departments are looking for the person who gives to the community and will contribute to the department. Grades are important, but OTs have to be people-oriented.

It looks like you have it all - you have a fantastic GPA, proof that you are interested in people and want to help your community, and you already have plenty of experience hours shadowing an OT. My school suggested shadowing at various places, so I ended up splitting my hours between 5 facilities: outpatient clinic, pediatric outpatient clinic, ICU (I think everyone should shadow ICU... that was intense), nursing home, and the pulmonary floor of my hospital.

Even though everything else looks great, still think of ANY achievements you can list, no matter how small -- even back to high school. Any awards (sports, character, academic) - any scholarships - any time you made Dean's list - everything.

Good luck! Sounds like you'll have no problem getting into the school of your choice!

Thanks so much for the feedback and reassurance; I really appreciate it. I'm freaking out a bit just because I really don't know what sort of competition I'm facing, and I really want this.

I think I will just apply to the two schools I actually want to attend, and hope for the best!