How Many Seats Are Left At Our Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shirlz1983

CLASS OF 2009 @ ???
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone on this forum has any idea about how many students have matriculated or how many seats are still available at each Optometry school. (Any information will be great. )

Members don't see this ad.

UMSL is full for next year. They have 45 on the roster and there has never been more than 46 in a class, so I am sure they are done.

ICO is 2/3rds full, so about 50 seats are left.

Members don't see this ad :)
SCO is full, and there are around 35 people on the alternate list.

Pacfic Admissions Rep. said they were full...so everyone is going on waitlist from here on out.

Anyone know about PCO, NECO or NOVA?

:eek:
does pacific give out rejections?

OOPS let me clarify, i'm just so freaking nervous because i haven't heard anything from any of the schools i applied and they look like they are full so i am super worried! but i mean..will they contact you to let you know that you are "rejected" or are you supposed to assume that if they don't contact you, then you are "rejected"? i hope that makes sense..

i am just wondering where i stand because no one has contacted (neither by phone, email, nor snail mail) me from pacific yet :eek:

wow i realize i sound like a blubbering mess in my post above :D
and by admissions rep., are you referring to Janelle H.?

No, not Janelle....John-Erik something. The head admissions guy (Janelle's boss) for Pacific's grad schools.

i interviewed w/PCO on Tuesday, and the admissions lady told me that 142 seats are taken, and the class size is usually around 150. :scared:

tnn said:
i interviewed w/PCO on Tuesday, and the admissions lady told me that 142 seats are taken, and the class size is usually around 150. :scared:
Their class size last year was 163. Don't worry...they'll take more this year. More students=more money.

Members don't see this ad :)
blazenmadison said:
Their class size last year was 163. Don't worry...they'll take more this year. More students=more money.
more students also equals more ODs...More ODs means more saturation & lower demand for our services, thus pushing salaries down (all else staying equal). That is a 'problem' that will be debated (heatedly I may add) by many ODs wherever you go.

AA

aarlan said:
more students also equals more ODs...More ODs means more saturation & lower demand for our services, thus pushing salaries down (all else staying equal). That is a 'problem' that will be debated (heatedly I may add) by many ODs wherever you go.

AA

true and true.

Does anyone know how many seats are still available at SCCO for Fall 2006?

TommyGuns said:
SCO is full, and there are around 35 people on the alternate list.

Do you know where you can find this list?

I gave up my seat at ICO two weeks ago :)

i gave up my seat at SUNY 3 weeks ago, so a seat should open up there

nick_139 said:
Do you know where you can find this list?

You cannot find this list anywhere because it's not available to the public. I just assumed that there are 35 people on the alternate list because I was told that the admissions committee sorted through 35 applicants to compose the list.

I had my interview at Nova on the 11th and was told that there were plenty of seats still available. I don't know the exact number, though I ended up with one of them :)

aarlan said:

AA

You'll get more than a heated debate about this if you check out the yahoo group "optometrysucks". Warning, do not read this aforementioned discussion board if you are having second thoughts. I am not so sure that the moderator is the best person to get info from as he seems a "little" disgruntled. However, if you are like me, you might appreciate that it provides what I guess are some worse-case scenarios and may help you be a little more realistic about what to immediately expect upon graduation.

Hey ICO is now 135/165 which was the quote i got from admissions today if anyone's interested!

i believe NECO is approx 90% filled but i will be working with admission tomorrow so i will double-check that figure. but don't be phased by that, i was interviewed on the last day here at NECO and applied 2 days before the deadline but was still admitted so there is always room for you if you received an interview.

powerpuff said:
Hey ICO is now 135/165 which was the quote i got from admissions today if anyone's interested!

165?!? They've added 10 or more seats since last year. Who's gonna have the biggest class, PCO or ICO?

Personal note. ICO is stingy. They tagged me down after the interview to make sure I turn in my plastic cover name tag so they can use it for other interviewees.

anyone hear from scco yet? how many people do they usually take off the waitlist?

Hi,
Does anyone know how many seats are offered at SCCO or how many are left? Also usually how many people from the waitlist actually get accepted on average.....Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Has anyone contacted SCCO about the waitlist? What's taking them so long! :(