How Many Times Can I Apply to MPH Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorDoctor.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm determined to get into Harvard or Yale MPH, no matter what. I know that their acceptance rates are pretty high and I'm definitely not a terrible candidate, but just in case I get rejected I want to know how many times I can apply before they officially close the doors on me, once and for all.

1. Do they have a limit on how many times I can apply?
2. Do they keep track of each applicant's records?
3. OR: If I keep improving my application significantly year after year, can I keep applying until I eventually get in?

I was always very confused about that. The HSPH website simply says that I can apply to one degree program at a time, but it doesn't specify how many times I can apply in general.

Thanks very much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

1. No
2. Yes. You most likely would have an applicant file that would remain in their records.
3. Yes.

Why are you determined to only go to one of those two schools? For the name? I think you should consider why you are trying to get your MPH. It is an expensive investment if it's not something you are truly interested in.

Reactions: 1 user
Why do you want to go to those schools so badly? Realistically speaking, the school that you go to isn't all that important. It is the connections that you make. There are lots of other colleges that are just as good as Harvard and Yale--some are better. Some aren't.

What's the objective here? To be able to say that you went to an Ivy or to receive your MPH and work on your dream career?

Life is about adaptability. You need to be able to adapt to your current circumstances and make them work.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand how you would easily be led to think that I'm interested in these schools solely for the brand name. However, please don't assume without evidence that I'm simply aiming for Harvard and Yale just because they're Harvard and Yale, or that I'm pursuing an MPH at these schools simply to show off my degree or something superficial like that.

I simply haven't mentioned that after countless research into multiple schools (some of which are almost completely unknown to the general public), visits to these schools themselves, inquiries to alumni of these schools regarding their experience within the program, consideration of tuition, and multiple other factors, I have concluded that Harvard and Yale would offer me the best education and opportunities to advance my career.

I apologize for not having specified such details in the question, but please don't automatically assume that I'm a prestige-driven freak. No hard feelings:) Thanks very much.

I understand how you would easily be led to think that I'm interested in these schools solely for the brand name. However, please don't assume without evidence that I'm simply aiming for Harvard and Yale just because they're Harvard and Yale, or that I'm pursuing an MPH at these schools simply to show off my degree or something superficial like that.

I simply haven't mentioned that after countless research into multiple schools (some of which are almost completely unknown to the general public), visits to these schools themselves, inquiries to alumni of these schools regarding their experience within the program, consideration of tuition, and multiple other factors, I have concluded that Harvard and Yale would offer me the best education and opportunities to advance my career.

I apologize for not having specified such details in the question, but please don't automatically assume that I'm a prestige-driven freak. No hard feelings:) Thanks very much.

Hmm... I don't know. I'm one of those people that believes if I wasn't accepted at a school, it probably was for a good reason. Why would I continue to apply to a school that did not want me in the first place? I would rather attend a school where the admissions committee saw potential and believed that I would be successful. I also think it's odd to continually do the same thing (such as applying year after year) when you continually get the same results. After the second time, I would assume it's better to move on to something else. Not everything is meant to be and sometimes the "worse" thing that can happen to us (like not getting accepted to our dream schools) can actually be the best thing that can happen.

IDK. This is all my opinion, though. Good luck.

There are many schools out there that would provide you an education that would be equally as strong (or potentially better) as either of those. I think that you're forgetting a very important aspect of graduate education: fit. Your fit at a school can drastically affect your success, not only during the program but also when entering the job market. That's not to say that you should not try to attend either of those schools. This is just a word of caution. You seem to be severely limiting yourself, and I would hate to see it affect your education and your career.

Another thing that concerns me is that you cross-posted this exact thread over a lot of the forums. I saw this is this forum, the pre-allo, and the allo forums. Based on this (and your name), I assume that you are going to attempt to go to medical school. Attending Harvard or Yale for your MPH is not going to realistically help you get into medical school more than any other MPH program. The simple truth is that an MPH doesn't have that much bearing on medical school admissions. So again, I encourage you to consider why you are getting your MPH and why you want to attend those two programs so badly. If you decide your reasons are truly viable, then by all means go for it. However, if they are not, consider your options. Attaining an MPH is an expensive endeavor, especially at those two schools where the tuition is exceptionally high.

Reactions: 1 user