How many times can we update our applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDre2001

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
And are there any draw backs to doing it more than once? More than twice?

I want to update at the end of July, and then again in Mid-September.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't imagine updating would be a bad thing really. What are you updating though? Grades, I'd definitely update through AACOMAS. I feel like schools will trust those as "official" more than just sending them a new transcript or something and making them calculate it themselves. Plus if AACOMAS miscalculates a replaced grade you can e-mail them and fix it, you have no idea how the school calculated it.

New activities I would leave alone unless they are REALLY important to update. Interviews will also ask you about anything new thats not in your application, it'd be good to have something to talk about. Additionally, you can send a letter of interest as well including new activities rather than updating them through AACOMAS.

True.

Right now, I have: 80 hours hospital volunteering, 50 hours volunteering at a dental office freshman year, 1 shadowing experience.

In mid-July, I could add: 100 more hospital volunteer hours, 20 more shadowing hours shadowing two physicians of different specialties

100 more volunteer hours isn't too big of a deal. But, relatively speaking, it is. It will more than double my (medical) volunteer hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
True.

Right now, I have: 80 hours hospital volunteering, 50 hours volunteering at a dental office freshman year, 1 shadowing experience.

In mid-July, I could add: 100 more hospital volunteer hours, 20 more shadowing hours shadowing two physicians of different specialties

100 more volunteer hours isn't too big of a deal. But, relatively speaking, it is. It will more than double my (medical) volunteer hours.

I'd send letters out to the schools for something like that personally. Just because it makes it clear what you are changing. Its obvious when someone's GPA changes once the application is updated. Adding something into the description of a shadowing or volunteer experience to add more hours wouldn't stand out IMO.

Also, by sending out letters it allows you to explain anything important in the experience.

"to school XYZ,

I was writing to express my continued interest in continuing my education at your university. Since applying, I have continued to volunteer, adding upwards of 100hrs of clinical experience. Here I learned/saw..... Also I was able to shadow two more physicians in X specialty and Y specialty. I was able to gain perspective on blah blah blah"

you get the picture. Personally I feel this is more professional than simply updating the application through AACOMAS although you also have the ability to contact the schools to see which they'd prefer. The letter also ensures they get it, where as they may glance over or not download your new application.

I'd send letters out to the schools for something like that personally. Just because it makes it clear what you are changing. Its obvious when someone's GPA changes once the application is updated. Adding something into the description of a shadowing or volunteer experience to add more hours wouldn't stand out IMO.

Also, by sending out letters it allows you to explain anything important in the experience.

"to school XYZ,

I was writing to express my continued interest in continuing my education at your university. Since applying, I have continued to volunteer, adding upwards of 100hrs of clinical experience. Here I learned/saw..... Also I was able to shadow two more physicians in X specialty and Y specialty. I was able to gain perspective on blah blah blah"

you get the picture. Personally I feel this is more professional than simply updating the application through AACOMAS although you also have the ability to contact the schools to see which they'd prefer. The letter also ensures they get it, where as they may glance over or not download your new application.

Great idea.

How about i do both?

"to school XYZ,

I was writing to express my continued interest in continuing my education at your university. Since applying, I have continued to volunteer, adding upwards of 100hrs of clinical experience. Here I learned/saw..... Also I was able to shadow two more physicians in X specialty and Y specialty. I was able to gain perspective on blah blah blah.

I have updated the "extra-curriculars" section on my application to reflect this. I am sending this letter to you as well just to make sure this recent volunteer and shadow work is not overlooked, as I believe these extra-curriculars were a very valuable experience for me"

:thumbup: or :thumbdown:?

Great idea.

How about i do both?

"to school XYZ,

I was writing to express my continued interest in continuing my education at your university. Since applying, I have continued to volunteer, adding upwards of 100hrs of clinical experience. Here I learned/saw..... Also I was able to shadow two more physicians in X specialty and Y specialty. I was able to gain perspective on blah blah blah.

I have updated the "extra-curriculars" section on my application to reflect this. I am sending this letter to you as well just to make sure this recent volunteer and shadow work is not overlooked, as I believe these extra-curriculars were a very valuable experience for me"

:thumbup: or :thumbdown:?

Not sure, although I'm sure it couldn't hurt. Anyone else have an opinion on this? I feel like Its just my opinion coming through here. When the time gets closer, like I said, you could also contact the school for their preferred method of updates.

I will not have one of my LOR's for another 4-5 days. I am going to just update my application now. Can anything bad come out of this?

I just sent an email to support on the AACOMAS page and they just said "be specific about what you are updating" when you email them to let them know. I'm not sure how they do it after the schools have recieved your apps but for me, I just had to let them know I forgot to add 2 extra curriculars and they fixed it for me.

I just sent an email to support on the AACOMAS page and they just said "be specific about what you are updating" when you email them to let them know. I'm not sure how they do it after the schools have recieved your apps but for me, I just had to let them know I forgot to add 2 extra curriculars and they fixed it for me.

Cool. I just updated mine and emailed them about it in "Support".

is it okay to also add D.O schools to your application even after you press submit?

is it okay to also add D.O schools to your application even after you press submit?

I think so, but itll cost slightly more than if you had added that school the first time.