How Many Updates is too Many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have an updating dilemma for my current top choice school (Note: I have not been accepted to MD/PhD programs anywhere else, so this is probably my only option).

I thought they would be doing final review either late December or early January so I sent an update letter just before the holidays. I had a few updates (3 posters at national conferences, a $2,000 grant, and a new research position that will lead to a paper in the spring).

It is now mid-January and I have not heard from the MD/PhD office. I also have more updates (2 posters, 2 paper presentations, and 1 paper presentation as second author all at national conferences, and a manuscript on which I am 3rd author that is very soon to be submitted [it's written and we have the journal picked out]).

I don't want to seem like I'm harassing them or repeating myself, but if they are still in deliberations these seem relevant.

What do you think? Should I send a second update? I sent the last one a month ago so it feels a bit soon.

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

IMHO, unless you've won a Nobel prize, anything more than one update letter is overkill. In your specific case, the paper hasn't even been submitted yet, so that's hardly relevant. As for the posters/presentations, that's really just more of what you've already told them about.

That being said, one potential workaround is to incorporate these updates into a letter of intent. If you would choose this MD/PhD program over any MD-only acceptances you already have, tell them that they're your favorite and explain why you love the program. Then subtly mention that you have a track record of being a productive scientist ("since submitting my application in June, I've done X, Y, and Z", etc) and that you think their program is the best possible way for you to continue on that path.

Reactions: 1 user
If they file a restraining order to prevent you from contacting them further, that's probably a sign you've gone too far. Otherwise, there's no inherent limit to the number of updates you can send. That being said, don't bother them unless you have good reason (i.e, these are significant new research achievements). I personally don't think letters of intent are very useful unless you're already on the WL and trying to get off. If you're on hold, they probably don't really do much good, but they probably also don't do any harm. So if you feel like you have something significant enough to report where you want to send another update or a LOI, knock yourself out. At least you'll know you did everything you humanly could to improve your chances. Best of luck to you and hope you get in.