How Many Words Should Each Writing Sample Be For MCAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

romealone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all
The title says it all. For the writing samples on the MCAT, can someone give me a ballpark figure regarding how long (how many words) each response should be.

You are only given 30 minutes per response so I can't imagine you are expected to write that much, but I would feel better if someone could give me a rough estimate regarding how many words a typical writing sample response should be. Thanks-SH

Members don't see this ad.

3-4 short paragraphs should be enough. Depending on how effective an argument you have will dictate the length. Longer is not always better... just ask Rabolisk. :laugh:

Thanks for the response. However, can anyone give me an idea regarding the specific length in terms of word count. Obviously it will vary, but I am just looking for a ballpark figure. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
So am I.

Regardless, so does anyone have a ballpark figure in terms of the average word-count for a writing sample?

Would you feel better if I arbitrarily put a number to "ElliottB's" response?

Better yet, here is one that I wrote for practice in 30 minutes. 518 words.

Can someone actually please critique it? I don't know if I did some things that the AAMC doesn't like/forgot to do other things.

The nature of democracy requires that its citizens be dependent upon one another.
Describe a specific situation in which citizens in a democracy might justifiably not be dependent upon one another. Discuss what you think determines when citizens in a democracy should be dependent upon one another.

By definition, a democary is “the rule of the majority.” In such a system, the political leaders represent the interests of the majority of citizens. And, since this ‘majority’ can’t statistically be made up of just the upper class, it is bound to elect leaders who put in place laws and social safety nets that protect the poor, unlucky, and ill. After all, every person who is part of this majority can eventually end up needing these safety nets themselves.

In this way, every citizen in a democratic country depends on the other. Aside from this specific example of wealth distribution and supporting the poor citizens, the principle also applies to many other areas. For example, the citizens depend on others to make wise choices in terms of foreign policy. After all, the elected leaders not only create domestic progams, but are also the face of a nation to the rest of the world. In this way, every citizen depends on every other citizen to make a prudent and moral (according to the dominant definition of ‘morality’ in a country) choice for international policy.

In this way, all citizens are interlinked, depending on one another to make good decisions that affect the entire nation’s course. More specific examples stem from this, and include the wars that are waged, the international causes that are supported, and the foreign powers that are condemned as being ‘evil’ (for example, Iran and North Korea in the case of American foreign policy).

But, the above does not always hold. Even though in general the majority steers a nation’s course, the web of support and agreement sometimes fails. One example is the minorities. These groups evolve with a nation, and are not necessarily the same over time. For instance, during the ‘Red Scare’ in the early 1900’s America, Italian immigrants and anyone associated with anarchists was disadvantanged. There was significant prejudice and persecution of the above two groups. As a result, even though the majority steered the nation’s course, the persecuted could not rely on their fellow citizens. Even though these minorities were technically granted all the same rights, in reality the prejudices of the day singled them out and left them disadvantaged.

In such a case, many citizens simply can not be dependent on others in a democracy. These citizens band together to form group identities, and often hide their true nature (as with the anarchists) to survive in the democratic nation. It would be a mistake for anyone in such a situation to turn to their fellow citizens or to await for others to improve their unfortunate situation.

Overall, often citizens of a democratic nation do rely on others to make wise choices about their elected leaders. Theoretically, this translates into social policies and laws that satisfy the citizens. However, when a citizen is part of a persecuted minority, he or she should be careful about expecting help from ‘the majority’. In such cases the minorities often forge strong group identities, and are sometimes forced to hide their identities from other citizens. Such disadvantaged citizens should look to others with similar problems.

Mine were about 600 each, and in one I explicitly stated "I interpret this passage as saying ..." because I was running short on time, I got an S.