How many years for medical schools to ‘forgive’ (to a limit) less than stellar performance in undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Terp93

Reaction score
By the time I apply to Medical School, ~10 years will have passed since I completed undergrad at UMD. I graduated with an engineering degree, cGPA of 3.3, but due to a mediocre performance in early science/math courses, I have around a 2.5 sGPA (didn’t realize how low it was until I calculated it...)

Assuming I perform very well (3.8+) in all my science/pre req courses (should be roughly 60 credits of science over 4 years), would that be enough, strictly from a GPS perspective, to ‘make up’ for a less than stellar performance in undergrad?

Looking for hard, honest answers. If they’re going to hold that 2.5 sGPA against me, mostly accrued during my freshman and sophomore year, I’d prefer to know now so that I don’t waste a load of money and time on a post-bacc.
Side Note: I had a discussion around this same point with the advisor/senior professor for the post-bacc I am interested in at a very reputable school, and her opinion was that my past performance in my case wouldn’t hold me back...but I’d definitely like some unbiased opinions from folks. Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what qualifies as “holding you back” to you. Medical schools will see your GPA broken up by year. Freshman and sophomore year struggles are common. This means a stellar postbac performance would stand out on a separate line. However, you will still have cumulative cGPA and sGPA. Those numbers will likely improve but only you will be able to calculate by how much. A strong more recent performance will put your cGPA and sGPA in a more favorable light but they will still be your numbers. The mean cGPA for admitted applicants for MD is a 3.78. What kind of shot you have will at an MD program depend on your grades, mcat score, state of residence, race/ethnicity, and ECs. If you get your sGPA above a 3.0 you should be competitive for DO programs.

Certain schools will only consider your most recent grades, you should look into these and see what their specific policies are. LSU is one example.

TMDSAS has a "fresh start" initiative that locks your grades from 10+ years ago, but if you're not a Texas resident you are competing for <10% of all eligible seats and need to be highly competitive as a OOS applicant.

SMP programs might be a good option for you. These are becoming more and more common, and many are having online cohorts starting this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, if you dont mind, could you explain a little more on what you mean by the 10+ years thing? I myself am in a position where my undergrad gpa is less than okay (2.3ugpa) and have a job in IT now but want to try again for medical school. I had severe mental health struggles which caused me to do so horribly in my classes but as medicine is my passion i want to try again.
Turns out it's only for Texas residents, but here it is. I know some non-Texas schools have similar policies, as I already mentioned for LSU.