How much autopsy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjw0918

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it unusual for a program to have 7 months of autopsy? As far as I can see, only one month is combined with something else and that's
EM. Another month is at the ME's office and the remaining five months is split between the VA and University hospital. It seemed like most places you were on something else primarily and did autopsies as they became available. I don't remember other places with this much time devoted strictly to autopsy. Is it just me or is this kinda peculiar?
Thanks guys...

Members don't see this ad.

cjw0918 said:
Is it unusual for a program to have 7 months of autopsy? As far as I can see, only one month is combined with something else and that's
EM. Another month is at the ME's office and the remaining five months is split between the VA and University hospital. It seemed like most places you were on something else primarily and did autopsies as they became available. I don't remember other places with this much time devoted strictly to autopsy. Is it just me or is this kinda peculiar?
Thanks guys...

Between 5-7 is standard given that it is often combined with frozen section duties are other such cross coverage responsibilities. I think I did around 200+ frozen sections during my 3 months at a VA doing autposy.

We only have 4 months, but they are without cross covering. And some people don't get their 50 so they have to go back and cover some later on in their training.

Members don't see this ad :)
yaah, I thought Michigan PGY-1's had to do 6 months of autopsy.

No, 4 months. I was on Aug, Sep, Dec, and June. Plus the weekend stuff. Maybe they are increasing it for next year or combining it with something else.

Hmm...I don't know how many mos. my program has. You'd think I would have figured this out prior to matching there. ;)