How much can a Sport Psychologist make?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sportacus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a Sport Psychologist make as much as a Clinician?

Members don't see this ad.

Can a Sport Psychologist make as much as a Clinician?

My feeling is that the NBA/NFL/NCAAA etc have a bit more discretionary monies than the Department of Veterans Affairs or the local CMHC, right? But what are the chances of getting a job/contract offer from Mark Cuban?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Practice success (in most speciality areas) has much more to do with business savvy than clinical skills. Speaking of business skills…almost all owners came from the business world, so they will recognize the value to you of being attached to their organization, so they probably don't need to pay you (too much of) a premium to do the work. From the handful of physicians and couple of neuropsychologists I know that have worked with pro teams, compensation is good but not amazing. The "cool factor" may be there in the beginning, but it can be stressful and the work can be demanding because of the dollars attached to your treatment.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, the only reason to be a npsych attached to a sports team is for the cool factor and resume builder. When you look at the rate once it's broken down hourly, it pays less than most gen practice for the 3 that I know who do sports stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the replies. I guess its up to one's entrepeneurial desire.