How much did you work while studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hulkbuster333

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering while you were studying for the NAPLEX and MPJE, how much did you work as a grad intern? Did you feel like you had enough time to study? Did your employer pressure you to work more?

Members don't see this ad.

I worked 30-38 hours a week and didn't study.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's late July, why are you still studying???

I worked a FT schedule and studied 20, 15 to MPJE and 5 to NAPLEX for three weeks (had the earliest ATT). I passed both handily, but I needed to study law as AZ's law exam had a reputation for a bunch of bulls**t questions that I thought it deserved after taking it. Studying The NAPLEX, I could have passed cold turkey and kicked myself for overstudying. I just retook it two years ago and scored 15 points less, anyone who has recent experience with hospital and retail and takes a basic look at Ansel's calculations can pass (most of us real humans don't do aliquots or mOsm on a regular basis).

Scores (2004):
152/160 - NAPLEX
109/120 - AZ Law
82/150? - CALPLEX (CA license, and I knew I screwed up the essay question on ACLS that year. But I didn't cheat with the Cody review.)
82/100 - MN Law (not my home state at the time)
110/110 (Perfect) - MN Practical

Last edited:
I was just asking to see what other people had experienced. My school didn't have graduation until the end of May. I passed my NAPLEX already and am waiting for results on MPJE.

To be fair, if you had a residency or some other job where licensure was required within 90 days and didn't affect how much you were getting paid, why would it matter? I didn't take my MPJE until August because when I signed up, that was the earliest test date available in my area and I wasn't about to drive to another state to do it earlier.

I'm in the same boat. Graduated end of May. Took MPJE last week and passed and taking NAPLEX in 2 days. I worked as a Grad Intern about 30-35 hours a week for about 4 weeks before my MPJE.

I worked 40/week and studied maybe 15-20/week. Probably less. Passed both. Minimum competency, they aren't that hard.

worked 40 hours a week - studied maybe an hour a day for 2 weeks

Last year I was working close to 32-36 hours a week. Doing 1 13 hour shift to get used to those. Studied in my off time and Passed Naplex and CPJE on the first go around.. It was nice making that kind of money out of school as a grad intern

I was probably at about 32 hours per week during that period. I took a second MPJE for a different state later and was working full time then.