how much difference does an ivy make after dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldream78

Reaction score
Can anyone who has gone to an ivy dental school speak on their experience in the work force regarding any impacts graduating from an ivy has?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Zero impact in private practice.

You may or may not be a worse clinical dentist. You are more likely to get into specialty programs
Yup sounds about right. I had a college friend that went to Columbia versus our state school because he wanted to specialize. I recall he said something that as long as you were in the top 1/3rd of your class you could specialize coming out of an ivy. Not to say you couldn't specialize if you were in the top 1/3rd of your state school class but something about it begin a more selling point when it's an ivy. Not sure how accurate this was but he did end up in an oral surgery residency after DS. This was at least a half decade or more ago though.

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone who has gone to an ivy dental school speak on their experience in the work force regarding any impacts graduating from an ivy has?
Turning down Ivy League dental schools has had zero impact on my career. I thusly conclude that attending an Ivy League dental school would have had zero impact on my career.

Big Hoss

Turning down Ivy League dental schools has had zero impact on my career. I thusly conclude that attending an Ivy League dental school would have had zero impact on my career.

Big Hoss
I guess it's all about self-satisfaction huh

but lets be honest - I would go penn/columbia in a heartbeat if accepted

Imagine attending a state school, instead of Columbia/Penn... ordering take-out dinner 7 days/week. Chipotle. WITH guac. Every time. Crab boil dinner with friends? Why not. Then you buy yourself to a brand new, mid-tier Beamer or Benz. Sports car insurance, yawn. 14mpg? No problem. New furniture for your apartment. Latest iPhone, Macbook, Apple Watch, Airpods.

One will still be tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars ahead of someone who decided to pursue prestige at an ivy. Not saying the flip-side is wrong, as we all have different wants and goals. But it might do some good to take a step back and realize how much extra money one is spending, whether that is their own, their parents', or the government's, for the same exact product—a dental degree.

Imagine attending a state school, instead of Columbia/Penn... ordering take-out dinner 7 days/week. Chipotle. WITH guac. Every time. Crab boil dinner with friends? Why not. Then you buy yourself to a brand new, mid-tier Beamer or Benz. Sports car insurance, yawn. 14mpg? No problem. New furniture for your apartment. Latest iPhone, Macbook, Apple Watch, Airpods.

One will still be tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars ahead of someone who decided to pursue prestige at an ivy. Not saying the flip-side is wrong, as we all have different wants and goals. But it might do some good to take a step back and realize how much extra money one is spending, whether that is their own, their parents', or the government's, for the same exact product—a dental degree.
Is this your lifestyle :cool:

I went to a state school and still have to think about getting guac...haha

Reactions: 1 users
Is this your lifestyle :cool:

I went to a state school and still have to think about getting guac...haha
I wish 😂 Just illustrating a point. Guac was reserved for after exams and practicals.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user