About the ads

How much do general pediatricians make per year?

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by IceMan007, May 5, 2008.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. IceMan007

IceMan007

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I keep reading that general pediatricians are on the low end of the pay scale, but I have no concept of what the pay scale is and what would relatively be the low end. Can someone put up some numbers to give us a better idea? Thanks.
  2. oldbearprofessor

oldbearprofessor MIT strong Administrator SDN Senior Moderator SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    Physician Rocket Scientist Faculty SDN 10+ Year Member
    Sure, that's why we created a FAQ!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6306652&postcount=17 and go look at #8

Alternately, try putting in the words "pediatricians" and "salary" into Google and the first handful of links I got back had the answers! Actually, the ones I looked at were pretty reasonable answers too. Of course, you realize that since you are a premed, these numbers might change between now and when you finish your pedi residency in 8-10 years or whenever?

I will ask you, however, the same question I've asked others who ask the same question here. That is "What is the amount you would need to earn to decide to become a pediatrician?" Answer that question honestly for yourself and then you can make some career decisions. Pediatric salaries may go up a bit or may go down a bit over the next 10 years, but I personally doubt there will be some massive change such that general pediatricians don't make about what other primary care physicians make and that is towards the lower end, or even at the lower end, of the income curve.