How much do letters of intent and updates matter when being considered for an interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rooks

Pre-med
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say u started a new volunteer position and you've done it for four months or so. Could it move the needle and get an interview if u r under consideration? And if you connect it to the school/write well? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Update when you get 100 hours. Impact on an II? Even if you included it in your app initially, marginal. I don't know how it adds to your application. It helps you after your interview... marginally.

Reactions: 1 users
damn so it's a waste of time to write?

Isolating on just the action of sending an update before II, I ask you to imagine dozens of applicants like you sending in updates. Do you think it works for that many applicants?

If it makes you feel better, you can send something. Just because you send a letter doesn't mean you will get re-reviewed for an II. Coincidence does not imply causation.

Of course if you get an R after sending a letter, coincidence doesn't imply causation there either.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
thanks for the honesty. i do appreciate it. :)

Letter of intent is meaningless if it’s from an applicant you weren’t planning to interview.

A truly impactful update (ie new publication, prestigious award, etc) might move the needle, but a new volunteer position does not qualify. Consider any new activities that you’re doing now as how you are improving your app in case you wind up needing to reapply.

Reactions: 2 users