How much do secondaries actually matter and should we use information not from our primary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BasedMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much do secondaries really matter to schools?
I'd also really like to know if reusing experiences is an issue. It's really easy to reuse experiences from my primary application as many of the questions they ask can be pretty redundant. When I say reusing I don't mean copy and pasting from the primary, but talking about the same experiences in similar ways. Is that an issue?

Members don't see this ad.

How much do secondaries really matter to schools?
I'd also really like to know if reusing experiences is an issue. It's really easy to reuse experiences from my primary application as many of the questions they ask can be pretty redundant. When I say reusing I don't mean copy and pasting from the primary, but talking about the same experiences in similar ways. Is that an issue?
Very important.
Make it fresh, even if they don't make it easy.

Reactions: 2 users
Very important.
Make it fresh, even if they don't make it easy.

Ty for your response. When you read secondaries what are some characteristics that make an applicant's response a good response?

Members don't see this ad :)
They actually answer the questions
They don't regurgitate the PS
They offer something unique
They display insight and thoughtfulness
They are well written
They don't offer platitudes
They don't parrot our mission statement

Ty for your response. When you read secondaries what are some characteristics that make an applicant's response a good response?

Reactions: 4 users
They are well written

What do you mean by platitudes?

They are well written
I would add that they speak honestly and clearly in their own voice.
Spin is so tiresome.

"I hope to work with rural populations and the underserved"

I think I get it now. So something like "I'm driven to make a difference" and overusing the word "passion"? Basically stuff that gets used so much it no longer has a meaning, especially if there's no supporting evidence.

Reactions: 1 user
"I want to help people"

"I felt so helpless when I saw the accident and the man bleeding"

I think I get it now. So something like "I'm driven to make a difference" and overusing the word "passion"? Basically stuff that gets used so much it no longer has a meaning, especially if there's no supporting evidence.

Reactions: 4 users
"I want to help people"

"I felt so helpless when I saw the accident and the man bleeding"

Makes sense, I can't even imagine how horrific and tedious it must be reading thousands of those common cliches. I'll definitely avoid them.

"I hope to work with rural populations and the underserved"

But what if that is what you want to do? Especially if thier mission statement is to get students into primary care in those areas.

Dont TELL us what you want to do;
SHOW us by examples of the work you have done and what you have accomplished.
explain WHY do you want to do this?
WHAT real world examples, experience, observations support your understanding of this goal

Show your pattern motivation, commitment and achievement in a coherent, concise and compelling manner.

Then why this school? What have you done or have in your background that explains motivation and experience in this area? Show us the examples of why you have this goal.

I mean, I would assume there would be dedicated and visible evidence if someone were to make such a claim. However, using those examples of working in the underserved areas would just back up the thesis/main idea "I want to work in undeserved areas after medical school".

I understand that there must be some art to it than just saying "I want to work in underserved areas" but that parrots a lot of medical schools mission statements.

I mean, I would assume there would be dedicated and visible evidence if someone were to make such a claim. However, using those examples of working in the underserved areas would just back up the thesis/main idea "I want to work in undeserved areas after medical school".

I understand that there must be some art to it than just saying "I want to work in underserved areas" but that parrots a lot of medical schools mission statements.

Explain what you want to do in more detail and how your past experiences connect to this goal. Examples:
Volunteering in an urban hospital => working in urban area
Growing up near a farm => working in rural areas
Interest in health disparities => working in area that includes populations X,Y, and/or Z

Reflect on your experiences, strengths, and belief system, then write from there. Draw inspiration from your "Whys" in life. If you are being earnest then the school that is right for you will appreciate what you have to say.

What did Op do to get nailed by the banhammer?
I dunno, but considering they ranted at me in another thread, with no provocation, for being a pretentious, bragging @rse who's not as special as I think I am and also discriminates? I'm guessing that either
a) their hair-trigger temper got them in trouble elsewhere, or
b) they're a reincarnation of a previously banned user and got caught for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Returning closer to the original topic, is keeping the secondary "fresh" important enough to justify using an alternate PS topic?
I.e. if the original PS topic is the best choice for the ever-present "overcoming adversity" question, should it be saved for the secondary, can both essays be related tangentially, or should the secondary be written with a sub-par topic to preserve the sanctity of the PS?

Returning closer to the original topic, is keeping the secondary "fresh" important enough to justify using an alternate PS topic?
I.e. if the original PS topic is the best choice for the ever-present "overcoming adversity" question, should it be saved for the secondary, can both essays be related tangentially, or should the secondary be written with a sub-par topic to preserve the sanctity of the PS?
It's not about 'preserving sanctity'. You have a very limited space with which to present yourself. Why waste any of it repeating information?
If you have something new to say, or think that you have something valuable which you can add while discussing the same/similar topic, go for it. If your response isn't going to add anything to your application, then it is not your best choice of subject.

You have lived for at least 20-something years on this planet, with a reasonably unique set of circumstances and experiences. Odds are, there are very few topics where you have only one possible experience to draw from, only one angle you could take. Show off as much of your best self as you can!

Would taking about going to a diverse school in NYC and learning about different cultures something that I could use to talk about how I would contribute to the diversity of a school or is it too general?

Would taking about going to a diverse school in NYC and learning about different cultures something that I could use to talk about how I would contribute to the diversity of a school or is it too general?

I don't think the diversity question is asking about times you have experienced diversity, it's asking what is unique about you.